Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Total number of files on my Mac?

This has been asked before, but I haven't seen a simple answer. I am running Intego on my main computer at the moment and am wondering how long it will take. It has been running for about 20 minutes and is up to about 3.5 million files at this point, so I am curious to know how many files to go.

For those of you on the "viruses can't infect a Mac" kick, that is total bs. My wife's iMac suddenly started running incredibly slow about a week ago. I quickly discovered this was the well described kernal_task problem where Activity Monitor showed that this process was using up about 1000% of the available CPU time (is the new new math? I thought 100% was the maximum...). I went through all of the recommended trouble shooting steps, resetting things, etc., before I called Apple. I upgraded the OS which was one version behind, all to no avail. The Apple guy recommended checking for malware as the next step. The program he recommended didn't run for some reason but after doing some online research I ended up getting the trial version of Intego, which I ran overnight on my wife's iMac. It found 10 suspect files, five of which were labelled as Trojans, some quite evil. After making sure my backups were up to date, I let Intego "repair" things. It deleted all 10 "problems". I rebooted her system and it is now working perfectly. I am now running Intego on my Mac Studio, which has been running great but why not? I will be curious to see what it finds on my system, as I am a lot more careful than my wife, but I am surprised how many files are on my Studio and was curious to see if there was an easy way to learn the total number of files on my system.

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 9:15 AM

Choclit99 wrote:

Yes, I should have said Malware rather than virus for the reasons stated. But the bottom line is that the built-in protections are not sufficient

I respectfully disagree. the weak link in macOS is us, the end users.

I think it would be worth your time to read Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. it's a long article, but worth your time to read every word.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2023 9:15 AM in response to Choclit99

Choclit99 wrote:

Yes, I should have said Malware rather than virus for the reasons stated. But the bottom line is that the built-in protections are not sufficient

I respectfully disagree. the weak link in macOS is us, the end users.

I think it would be worth your time to read Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. it's a long article, but worth your time to read every word.

Aug 9, 2023 7:34 AM in response to Choclit99

To add to previous posters suggestion

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Starting in macOS 11 Big Sur and above. 

The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User nor by Third Party Applications.

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

Third Party Security Software 

Intego AntiVirus

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Aug 9, 2023 8:07 AM in response to Choclit99

I shall defer to the more learned colleague KiltedTim on your question

Though, as mentioned the Sealed and Read Only Volume would be protected.

What would be infected with whatever Bad Actor Software was installed.

Would be the User Account and would require purposeful and willful actions by the User ( you ) to circumvent the Builtin Security offered in macOS

Just to name a few

Boot process for a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (CA)

Intro to app security for macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Aug 9, 2023 9:47 AM in response to Choclit99

well, I'm glad that intego "seems" to have helped you. and in some ways it may have. but you should also read the link (thanks P. Phillips) to some of the postings here regarding the use of Intego AntiVirus. among other reasons, it can and does report false issues so you think it is helping.

if you really want to rely on "anti-malware" software, the only one I recommend would be the trial or paid version of malwarebytes. (the free trial version is good enough for most) but even if you try that, you should only run it if you feel you may have picked up some new malware. leaving it running in the background causes a whole other set of issues.

Aug 9, 2023 7:29 AM in response to Choclit99

Choclit99 wrote:

For those of you on the "viruses can't infect a Mac" kick, that is total bs.

It's not that it's impossible... however, there are no known viruses in the wild that can infect macOS.

My wife's iMac suddenly started running incredibly slow about a week ago. I quickly discovered this was the well described kernal_task problem where Activity Monitor showed that this process was using up about 1000% of the available CPU time (is the new new math? I thought 100% was the maximum...). I went through all of the recommended trouble shooting steps, resetting things, etc., before I called Apple. I upgraded the OS which was one version behind, all to no avail. The Apple guy recommended checking for malware as the next step. The program he recommended didn't run for some reason but after doing some online research I ended up getting the trial version of Intego, which I ran overnight on my wife's iMac. It found 10 suspect files, five of which were labelled as Trojans, some quite evil. After making sure my backups were up to date, I let Intego "repair" things. It deleted all 10 "problems". I rebooted her system and it is now working perfectly. I am now running Intego on my Mac Studio, which has been running great but why not? I will be curious to see what it finds on my system, as I am a lot more careful than my wife, but I am surprised how many files are on my Studio and was curious to see if there was an easy way to learn the total number of files on my system.

"Malware" ≠ "virus".

They are two different things.

A trojan is a program masquerading as something useful in order to con you into installing it.

Nothing can be installed on your Mac without your cooperation and approval.

Aug 9, 2023 7:52 AM in response to PRP_53

Yes, I should have said Malware rather than virus for the reasons stated. But the bottom line is that the built-in protections are not sufficient and there is definitely a place for software like Intego. It just completed the scan of about 5.5 million files and found a number of things that definitely were not needed or wanted, including a couple of key loggers, but overall, my Studio was in better shape than my wife's computer because I tend to be much more cautious on clicking on strange things, probably because I have been in the software "game" since 1964... :-)

Aug 9, 2023 9:36 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

I totally agree. I am probably much more careful than most people because of my background, yet many things snuck through, so it was nice to be able to detect these and clean up both my wife's system and even mine a bit. I read the paper and follow almost everything there, but some things were on my system that made it through. The big relief was getting my wife's system to run normally again.

Aug 9, 2023 9:55 AM in response to Choclit99

And malware doesn’t install itself without the user’s knowledge. A web site cannot install malware without you, the user, authorizing it. You may have not been paying attention when you clicked on something. Or you may have succumbed to a phishing scam. Again, none of this happens without the user authorizing it. There are no viruses nor are there self-installing malware known for macOS. And Windows these days is pretty much the same.

Take jefferythefrog’s advice and use the trial version of Malwarebyes to check for known malware, not an anti-virus app.

Total number of files on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.