Using Google maps with Apple calendar and contacts, etc.

When I have an address for a job in my calendar, it opened directions up with Apple Maps… I’m used to using Google maps… I guess I’ve been just adding the address to Google maps directly in the past.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 9:29 PM

Yes, I would like to be able to use Google Maps with iCal instead of Apple Maps. How can I do it?

12 replies

Dec 5, 2023 6:01 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

You're right. I didn't read the question carefully enough. My steps were for solving a different problem I had: Somehow my Google Calendar app was opening addresses in Apple Maps, but I wanted it to open Google Maps.

You can adapt my problem's solution to the original poster's problem by adding an extra step at the start: Change your calendar app from Apple Calendar to Google Calendar. (But switching calendar apps won't be very easy or practical for many people.)

Aug 10, 2023 11:40 AM in response to b0bsax

Hey b0bsax,

This is an expected behavior since the Apple Maps app is part of the iOS software. You can always copy and paste the address into a third-party app like Google apps if you wish to use that app instead.

If you'd like to submit a feedback about the iOS software and Maps app, you can do so by visiting this link here: Product Feedback - Apple

Cheers!

Dec 5, 2023 6:10 AM in response to Zufeng

Zufeng wrote:

You can adapt my problem's solution to the original poster's problem by adding an extra step at the start: Change your calendar app from Apple Calendar to Google Calendar. (But switching calendar apps won't be very easy or practical for many people.)

Again, while your solution is correct, it's for the wrong question.

If people already use a Google account for their calendar, switching calendar apps is trivial.

Dec 4, 2023 7:12 AM in response to Zufeng

Zufeng wrote:

1. I found a way to make my Google Calendar app open Google Maps instead of Apple Maps.

Steps:
Open Google Calendar
2. Open Settings (inside the Google Calendar app) → Apps from Google
3. Configure the default apps to make Google Maps the default for navigation

However, the original question was not how to use these apps with Google Calendar but rather with the Apple Calendar app.

Using Google maps with Apple calendar and contacts, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.