Calculator Usage

First time Mac user; I am very much looking forward to the day that I no longer loathe this OS and discover that it does in fact offer some semblance of intuitive functionality. In the meantime, support does not appear to have answers to the series of questions that I will be posting here. I hope that someone out there might.

Is it at all possible to open calculator so that it does not occupy the entire screen!? I.E. so that I may view windows in the background while the app is active?

Any assistance or suggestion is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 14″, 13.5

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 2:14 PM

Honestly, I don't know that Calculator supports Full Screen.

I tested it with 4 different apps, and Calculator appears as a small app window, and you can still see the app underneath it (everywhere the Calculator app isn't, that is).

This is what it looks like on my MacBook Air:

9 replies

Aug 10, 2023 12:39 PM in response to Barney-15E

After further troubleshooting, the calculator seems to allow viewing in the background for Safari only. While any other app is in the forefront, and calculator is then selected, it takes up the full screen (and in fact bring the Safari page to the visible background). I have also discovered that working with apps/programs in full screen wreaks havoc on the entire system, so I avoid that completely.

I suppose it's something I'll merely have to get used to.

Thank you for the reply

Aug 13, 2023 9:15 AM in response to mnjaskiw

Well, as it turns out, a reload of the OS, which was suggested by a technician at an Apple Store due to the multitude of problems I was facing, seems to have remedied most, if not all of these problems, this one here included.

Despite the awful first impression, as a first time user, I am quite relieved that these were not all inherent to the system itself.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Calculator Usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.