Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Scores of duplicates of a photo I can't delete.

When I open the upload window I see scores of identical copies of some photos but I can't delete them from that window AND I CAN'T FIND THEM IN OTHER WINDOWS. I am unable to search on the file names as they produce no results and when I scroll through my photos in other locations I can't find the images.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 3:08 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write a painstaking reply. As the duplicates do not appear on the laptop, there is no Duplicates link in the sidebar. I think what I was seeing was a "burst" displayed as individual photos.

2 replies

Aug 10, 2023 11:47 AM in response to Ewan Lamont

Hello Ewan Lamont,

We understand you need help with removing duplicate pictures on your Mac system. Here is the guide with steps specific to Mac: Remove duplicate photos in Photos on Mac

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, click Duplicates in the sidebar.
Note: If you’re using iCloud Shared Photo Library, click the Library pop-up menu in the toolbar, then choose Both Libraries.
2. Select the duplicates you want to merge.
You can select individual items in a single row and merge them or select multiple rows of duplicates and merge them all at once. A single original photo or video is kept from the selection in a row and other duplicates are deleted.
3. Click Merge [number] Duplicates. 
One original photo or video appears where the selected duplicates were located in your library. Deleted duplicates appear in the Recently Deleted album where you can recover or permanently delete them.

If you continue to have issues, you may need to work directly with Apple Support. You can reach them here: Get Support

You can also find the support phone number for your region at this link: Contact Apple for support and service

All the best.

Scores of duplicates of a photo I can't delete.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.