How do I operate my keyboard from my IPad or IPhone instead of using the Apple TV keys?

Keyboard on AppleTV -difficult to navigate. One time a message on AppleTV gave instruction (very fast) for me to open my other Apple device to share/connect to AppleTV using my IPad or IPhone using one of the two keyboards for easier use AND saw larger type. Was great option. i do not remember, was great option. HELP!

Thank you

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 2:07 PM

As explained in the support document I posted above,

• Make sure the iOS or iPadOS device and Apple TV are both signed in to using the same Apple ID, and that Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi are enabled on the iOS or iPadOS device.

then:

Whenever a text field appears on Apple TV, a notification appears on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

• Tap the notification and enter text in the iOS or iPadOS keyboard that appears.
  • Text you enter on the iOS or iPadOS device automatically appears in the text field on Apple TV.

If you aren't getting the notifications and have made sure all is correct as explained in support document,

then make sure notifications for Apple TV keyboard are turned on your iOS or your iPadOS device by going to  Settings > Notifications > Apple TV Keyboard and and making suse Allow Notifications is turned on.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 2:07 PM in response to Soalert1939

As explained in the support document I posted above,

• Make sure the iOS or iPadOS device and Apple TV are both signed in to using the same Apple ID, and that Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi are enabled on the iOS or iPadOS device.

then:

Whenever a text field appears on Apple TV, a notification appears on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

• Tap the notification and enter text in the iOS or iPadOS keyboard that appears.
  • Text you enter on the iOS or iPadOS device automatically appears in the text field on Apple TV.

If you aren't getting the notifications and have made sure all is correct as explained in support document,

then make sure notifications for Apple TV keyboard are turned on your iOS or your iPadOS device by going to  Settings > Notifications > Apple TV Keyboard and and making suse Allow Notifications is turned on.

How do I operate my keyboard from my IPad or IPhone instead of using the Apple TV keys?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.