iTunes File Size Problem

Been trying to get iTunes to recognize all of the albums I put in its Library. I tried everything I could find online, but to no avail. I could find a part of the songs I was trying to get to show up, but not all of them.

For context, the song I experimented with below is a 27.4MB FLAC file with 1042kbps bit rate. I am using iTunes for windows with the goal of setting up a small library of songs to play on my train ride tomorrow from my iPhone.

What I found was, if I transcoded my 1042kbps file to a 320kbps MP3, it was instantly recognized.

I do not want to transcode half of my songs to MP3, because I set it up so that they get transcoded to 256kbps AAC when going to my phone anyway, and that would be a bad transcode.

What can I do instead, so that iTunes recognizes my songs?

EDIT: no, the thing is literally only the mp3s from my folder get recognized in the iTunes library... more context: more recently I started downloading only lossless stuff, I didn't even know I had mp3s in there

Will I need to make a script to transcode every one of my FLACs to 192 AAC? Can't I make iTunes recognize them and transcode them himself

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 6:10 AM

Will I need to make a script to transcode every one of my FLACs to 192 AAC?

As Fiend notes, iTunes ignores FLAC. If you want to keep lossless quality, transcode to ALAC (Apple Lossless). You will need a 3rd party program to do this.

ALAC, like FLAC, is an open-source compressed lossless format. But unlike FLAC, Apple supports it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2023 6:10 AM in response to AlexLikesMusic

Will I need to make a script to transcode every one of my FLACs to 192 AAC?

As Fiend notes, iTunes ignores FLAC. If you want to keep lossless quality, transcode to ALAC (Apple Lossless). You will need a 3rd party program to do this.

ALAC, like FLAC, is an open-source compressed lossless format. But unlike FLAC, Apple supports it.

iTunes File Size Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.