Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can’t download certain things

My mother had bought both of my little siblings an IPad mini but for my little sister’s YouTube and YouTube kids aren’t downloading on there. It says she needs the software version to be 14.0 but then it won’t let us download it because it’s stuck on version 12.5.7. Why do we need to use 14.0? Can’t we just download it like they used to be before we had this kind of restriction.

iPad mini 2

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 7:24 PM

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 (the one in your profile) and iPad mini3 will only update to iOS 12.5.7

if you want to run a higher system version than your current device will run, that you need to buy a newer device.

Note that the YouTube apps requires iOS 14.0 or later so if you shop for a newer model make sure you are getting one that can run at least that and preferably something newer.

You can explore running YouTube in a browser on the device instead.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 7:24 PM in response to berri17

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 (the one in your profile) and iPad mini3 will only update to iOS 12.5.7

if you want to run a higher system version than your current device will run, that you need to buy a newer device.

Note that the YouTube apps requires iOS 14.0 or later so if you shop for a newer model make sure you are getting one that can run at least that and preferably something newer.

You can explore running YouTube in a browser on the device instead.

Aug 11, 2023 1:08 AM in response to Limnos

We can’t get new stuff anymore as we are almost broke usually and my mother had already bought the IPad mini’s but thank you for your help regardless if it isn’t the answer I was looking for :)

edit:also these are children I’m talking about so that’s why my mother was asking but then it’s only my little sister’s IPad but for me and my little brother’s IPad it worked perfectly fine

Can’t download certain things

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.