HELP!! IPHONE IS DISABLED CONNECT TO ITUNES - I NEED TO RECOVER MY PHOTOS ETC

Unfortunately nothing has been backed up and from things I've read it sounds like I have already lost everything, even before I try to fix it, which will wipe everything anyway. Is it possible to make it not disabled without restoring the iphone? If not is there any chance of backing up and saving stuff whilst it is disabled before I go ahead with a fix ? And again, if not, would the apps that you can download to rescue photos and messages etc be able to retrieve everything before? or after? I try to fix the disablement?

If so what would be a good one to use, a free one if poss although it sounds like the free ones only retrieve a very small amount, about 1GB? If that is the case is there a cheapish good one, I don't want to have to pay a large amount (and that's if it would even work)?

I'm not very tech minded but I desperately don't want to lose all my stuff, especially my photos (nothing backed up) so I want to try and fix this and any help will be very much appreciated, fingers crossed!!

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 2:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 2:04 AM

Your data is not lost if you have a backup either on iCloud or iTunes.

If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or "Security Lockout" screen

If you forgot your passcode, you can use your Apple ID and password to erase and reset your device without a computer.

Learn what to do if you see "[Device] unavailable" or "Security Lockout" on your iPhone or iPad.)

iPhone is disabled.

Following this process is the only way out if your iPhone is disabled. The steps given in this link will help you reset the passcode -> If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ...

Regarding your data…

1. If you have an iCloud or iTunes latest backup, then there is nothing to worry about. If not read more...
  2. You have synced your data to iCloud, then what you will get back is what you have synced to iCloud and uploaded to iCloud Drive; the information that is synced and stored in iCloud are, Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive. (*-If you had turned on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud.)
  3. You have imported your Photos & Videos to Mac/PC then they are safely residing there on Mac/PC
  4. You have uploaded some of it to Cloud Drives using the Files app (iCloud Drive, Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, Flickr, box, AmazonDrive, Adobe Creative Cloud etc). The data remains there.
  5. If you have not backed up or do not have the latest backup, nor imported nor you have synced or uploaded your data to cloud drives prior to the situation that you are in, then I am sorry, all your data is lost.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2023 2:04 AM in response to JTM555

Your data is not lost if you have a backup either on iCloud or iTunes.

If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or "Security Lockout" screen

If you forgot your passcode, you can use your Apple ID and password to erase and reset your device without a computer.

Learn what to do if you see "[Device] unavailable" or "Security Lockout" on your iPhone or iPad.)

iPhone is disabled.

Following this process is the only way out if your iPhone is disabled. The steps given in this link will help you reset the passcode -> If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ...

Regarding your data…

1. If you have an iCloud or iTunes latest backup, then there is nothing to worry about. If not read more...
  2. You have synced your data to iCloud, then what you will get back is what you have synced to iCloud and uploaded to iCloud Drive; the information that is synced and stored in iCloud are, Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive. (*-If you had turned on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud.)
  3. You have imported your Photos & Videos to Mac/PC then they are safely residing there on Mac/PC
  4. You have uploaded some of it to Cloud Drives using the Files app (iCloud Drive, Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, Flickr, box, AmazonDrive, Adobe Creative Cloud etc). The data remains there.
  5. If you have not backed up or do not have the latest backup, nor imported nor you have synced or uploaded your data to cloud drives prior to the situation that you are in, then I am sorry, all your data is lost.

Aug 11, 2023 2:05 AM in response to JTM555

If you're experiencing difficulty connecting your iPhone to your Mac, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check the USB cable and ports: Ensure that you're using a certified Lightning to USB cable and try connecting it to different USB ports on your Mac. Also, check for any physical damage or debris in the ports that may be preventing a proper connection. Use genuine cable --> Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories ...
  2. Disconnect all other USB devices from your computer, except for your keyboard and mouse. --> Resolve USB-related alerts in iTunes/Finder - Apple Support
  3. Restart your iPhone and Mac: Sometimes, restarting your devices can resolve temporary connection issues. Restart both your iPhone and your Mac, and then try connecting them again.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  4. Update your software: Make sure that both your iPhone and Mac are running the latest software versions. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Software Update, and on your Mac, go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  5. Trust the computer: When connecting your iPhone to your Mac for the first time, you may need to trust the computer on your iPhone. Unlock your iPhone and check for any prompts asking you to trust the connected computer. Confirm the trust request on your iPhone. About the “Trust This Computer” alert message on your ...
  6. Try a different port, cable, or computer. The issue could be related to your computer, its USB port, or the USB cable connecting it to your device. If possible, try a different computer, USB port, or USB cable. Also, check for any debris in the charging port on the bottom of your iPhone or iPad. --> If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod ...
  7. Reset your iPhone's settings: If the issue persists, you can try resetting your iPhone's settings. Go to Settings > General > Transfer & Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will not erase your data but will reset your settings to their default values. After the reset, attempt to connect your iPhone to your Mac again. Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support (IN)
  8. Update iTunes or Finder (macOS Catalina or later): If you're using a Mac running macOS Mojave or earlier, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed. If you're using macOS Catalina or later, iTunes has been replaced with Finder for device management. Ensure that you have the latest macOS updates installed, which should include the latest version of Finder. Update macOS on Mac
  9. Check for conflicting software: Sometimes, third-party security software or firewalls can interfere with the connection between your iPhone and Mac. Temporarily disable any security software or firewalls and see if that resolves the issue.

If you are experiencing an issue not listed here, contact support as they can provide specific troubleshooting steps based on your situation.

Aug 11, 2023 2:05 AM in response to JTM555

If you're experiencing difficulty connecting your iPhone to your PC, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Assuming you have Windows 10. Download and use iTunes for Windows 10. With iTunes for Windows 10, you can manage your entire media collection in one place. Download and use iTunes for Windows 10
  2. Check the USB cable and ports: Ensure that you're using a certified Lightning to USB cable and try connecting it to different USB ports on your PC. Also, check for any physical damage or debris in the ports that may be preventing a proper connection. Use genuine cable --> Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories ...
  3. Disconnect all other USB devices from your computer, except for your keyboard and mouse. --> Resolve USB-related alerts in iTunes/Finder - Apple Support
  4. Restart your iPhone and PC: Sometimes, restarting your devices can resolve temporary connection issues. Restart both your iPhone and your PC, and then try connecting them again.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  5. Make sure that your iPhone is running the latest software versions. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Software Update
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  6. Trust the computer: When connecting your iPhone to your PC for the first time, you may need to trust the computer on your iPhone. Unlock your iPhone and check for any prompts asking you to trust the connected computer. Confirm the trust request on your iPhone. About the “Trust This Computer” alert message on your ...
  7. Try a different port, cable, or computer. The issue could be related to your computer, its USB port, or the USB cable connecting it to your device. If possible, try a different computer, USB port, or USB cable. Also, check for any debris in the charging port on the bottom of your iPhone or iPad. --> If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod ...
  8. Reset your iPhone's settings: If the issue persists, you can try resetting your iPhone's settings. Go to Settings > General > Transfer & Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will not erase your data but will reset your settings to their default values. After the reset, attempt to connect your iPhone to your PC again. Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support (IN)
  9. If unable to connect --> If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support
  10. For your Windows PC —> Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows - Apple Community
  11. Sometimes, third-party security software or firewalls can interfere with the connection between your iPhone and PC. Temporarily disable any security software or firewalls and see if that resolves the issue.

If you are experiencing an issue not listed here, contact support as they can provide specific troubleshooting steps based on your situation.

Aug 11, 2023 2:12 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for your reply. I don't have back up in icloud nor in itunes that is why I don't want to put it in recovery mode to fix the disablement as that will wipe everything and I have no back up anywhere to restore it from. That is why I asked about the apps for recovering photos, messages etc to see if I can do it that way??

Aug 11, 2023 6:55 AM in response to JTM555

JTM555 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I don't have back up in icloud nor in itunes that is why I don't want to put it in recovery mode to fix the disablement as that will wipe everything and I have no back up anywhere to restore it from. That is why I asked about the apps for recovering photos, messages etc to see if I can do it that way??

No. You can't. It's too late for that. You need to back up before something goes wrong, not after.

HELP!! IPHONE IS DISABLED CONNECT TO ITUNES - I NEED TO RECOVER MY PHOTOS ETC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.