System data is using 388.23GB of 499.83 GB Storage!

System data is using 388.23GB of 499.83 GB Storage! How absurd is this??? And I only have default apps, BTW. I couldn't install an update to macOS (Ventura), so I got rid of many large files. But, if I try again I'll be basically out of storage, A picture is worth a thousand words..

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 2:25 PM

DiGascon Said:

I'm afraid it has been this way for a long, long time and I just realized it when I couldn't install an update to macOS (lack of storage space). I never use time machine backups. I use an external hard drive. Apple must address this issue. Thanks for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

———-

You are welcome.

Aside from clearing “Other”, here are some tips on what else to clear and how…

Freeing Up a Desktop Mac Storage:

Clear Space:

Try clearing internal storage. Do so, though use of the following:

I. Moving Photos:

Export your Photos to an External Location: Move your Photos Library to Save Space on your Mac - Apple Support

II. What Space to Clear:

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Manage Cookies and Website Data in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Also...

C.See these Links:

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2023 2:25 PM in response to DiGascon

DiGascon Said:

I'm afraid it has been this way for a long, long time and I just realized it when I couldn't install an update to macOS (lack of storage space). I never use time machine backups. I use an external hard drive. Apple must address this issue. Thanks for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

———-

You are welcome.

Aside from clearing “Other”, here are some tips on what else to clear and how…

Freeing Up a Desktop Mac Storage:

Clear Space:

Try clearing internal storage. Do so, though use of the following:

I. Moving Photos:

Export your Photos to an External Location: Move your Photos Library to Save Space on your Mac - Apple Support

II. What Space to Clear:

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Manage Cookies and Website Data in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Also...

C.See these Links:

Aug 11, 2023 6:36 PM in response to DiGascon

DiGascon Said:

"System data is using 388.23GB of 499.83 GB Storage! How absurd is this??? And I only have default apps, BTW. I couldn't install an update to macOS (Ventura), so I got rid of many large files. But, if I try again I'll be basically out of storage, A picture is worth a thousand words."

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Clearing System Data on a Mac:

Use this Link: How to delete Other storage on a Mac - Macworld

Aug 11, 2023 8:33 PM in response to DiGascon

DiGascon Said:

"Thanks for your response ! I went through that MacWorld article before posting. It was really helpful! I was able to delete Time Machine snapshots but that's about it. I don't want to make things worse :|"

-------

You are welcome.

Excellent job troubleshooting!

When're to go from here...

Create a Time Machine Backup:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac to, when this storage issue did not exist.

System data is using 388.23GB of 499.83 GB Storage!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.