Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

how to get rid of the norton security warning in upper right corner of the computer screen

How do put a stop to the continuous pop ups about security risk alerts (which I assume is a scam) suggesting my PC is at risk and I need to purchase new coverage from Norton for my MacBook.Air.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 11:15 AM

Please see the user tip below.

Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community

5 replies

Aug 12, 2023 2:38 PM in response to lbbear

lbbear Said:

"how to get rid of the norton security warning in upper right corner of the computer screen: The problem is, I don't recall signing up for Norton, and according to their site, I haven't. It is one of the several warnings that keeps popping up.

———-

Troubleshooting Popup Messages:

A. Single-Out this User:

For troubleshooting purposes. create a new Administrator user, log into it, and see if you get these pop up’s. If not, then it is something within your current user. If so, then it is part of your macOS install. Trash this user you’ve just created after troubleshooting this.

and…

B. Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Scan for Malware:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine. Malwarebytes is made by longtime users of these forums, and is the only security software safe to use on a Mac, as it does not get in the way. So, once removed from the quarantine, uninstall Malwarebytes, if desired.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

If a Scan Does Not Work, Try this:

• Create New Administrator User

Try creating a new Administrator user, and scanning with Malwarebytes for Mac.

• Boot in Safe Mode:

You may need to boot into Safe Mode [Hold Down the Shift Key upon boot]. Once at the login screen, release shift. See if it now can be scanned for and then removed. In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), and new preferences are set aside.

Aug 11, 2023 10:38 PM in response to lbbear

lbbear Said:

"how to get rid of the norton security warning in upper right corner of the computer screen: How do put a stop to the continuous pop ups about security risk alerts (which I assume is a scam) suggesting I need to update the Norton security app for my MacBook.Air"

-------

Uninstall Norton:

Security Software just gets in the way on an Apple device and this is a pure example of how and why.

Use an Uninstaller:

Contact Norton, and ask them for the correct uninstaller to use. Just Dragging & Dropping it to the trash will leave files (i.e. caches) laying about your Mac.

how to get rid of the norton security warning in upper right corner of the computer screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.