📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outlook & app specific password for iCloud

I have been using outlook for my iCloud email on my iPhone for years. For some reason today it won’t allow me to generate the app specific password. I have done all the troubleshooting. Turned phone on/off..

Turned 2 step auth on

Changed and used correct password for iCloud

Mail is on in settings

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 11:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 7:08 AM

Hi AZJamieLynn,

If you want to generate an app-specific password, we recommend that you follow the steps in the link below.

Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the section titled "How to generate an app-specific password."

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.
2. In the Sign-In and Security section, select App-Specific Passwords.
3. Select Generate an app-specific password or select the Add button Blue plus sign icon., then follow the steps on your screen.
4. Enter or paste the app-specific password into the password field of the app.

We recommend the steps above because they will show you how to sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords.

If you’re still unable to generate an app-specific password, we recommend contacting Apple Support directly so that they can work with you to find a solution. You can reach them by clicking here: Apple Support or calling the most local number in your region: Contact Apple for support and service. Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2023 7:08 AM in response to AZJamieLynn

Hi AZJamieLynn,

If you want to generate an app-specific password, we recommend that you follow the steps in the link below.

Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the section titled "How to generate an app-specific password."

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.
2. In the Sign-In and Security section, select App-Specific Passwords.
3. Select Generate an app-specific password or select the Add button Blue plus sign icon., then follow the steps on your screen.
4. Enter or paste the app-specific password into the password field of the app.

We recommend the steps above because they will show you how to sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords.

If you’re still unable to generate an app-specific password, we recommend contacting Apple Support directly so that they can work with you to find a solution. You can reach them by clicking here: Apple Support or calling the most local number in your region: Contact Apple for support and service. Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Aug 13, 2023 9:16 AM in response to AZJamieLynn

Hi AZJamieLynn,

Can you fill us in on what's happening when you say it won't generate a password? Are you getting an error? If so, what does it say?

The best steps will depend on what's happening, but if you haven't yet, you could try restarting your iPhone. That's a great starting point for general troubleshooting: Restart your iPhone

It's also a good step to try from both a known good Wi-Fi network, and from cellular data. If you're seeing an error related to your connection, that would help narrow things down.

Have a good one.

Aug 13, 2023 9:09 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Hi. Thanks for your response. I have been using outlook on my iPhone for over a decade and a half now maybe longer. This isn’t new to me. I know how to do it and followed the steps as well as trouble shouted. However it still won’t generate a password for me like normal just says go to settings. I’ve done everything in settings as well as turned phone on off, turned two step on off. Still isn’t working like it normally would. There must be a block so it won’t work. Makes zero sense.

Outlook & app specific password for iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.