Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How can I get my old iPhotos on new iMac with system catalina.

iphotos doesn't work on my new Imac. I have Photos on the imac but seem to have lost all my old iphoto photos. I believe they are on a backup disk but how can I recover them if they aren't supported by the new system?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 11:58 AM

On a Mac with Catalina you can open your iPhoto Libraries in Photos. Photos will create a Photos Library from the iPhoto Library.

First you have to restore the iPhoto Library from your backup disk to your Pictures folder. Is your backup a Time Machine backup? Then use Time Machine to restore the iPhoto Library (not the iPhoto.app) to your new Mac.

Now launch Photos while holding down the options key ⌥ and release the key when you are seeing the dialog to select a library. Select your old iPhoto Library from the list of libraries. Then wait for Photos to create a Photos Library from it. The new Photos library will be created in the same folder as your iPhoto Library. You should be finding all phots and videos in the new library, also the albums. The Events will be converted to albums.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2023 11:58 AM in response to kathyje

On a Mac with Catalina you can open your iPhoto Libraries in Photos. Photos will create a Photos Library from the iPhoto Library.

First you have to restore the iPhoto Library from your backup disk to your Pictures folder. Is your backup a Time Machine backup? Then use Time Machine to restore the iPhoto Library (not the iPhoto.app) to your new Mac.

Now launch Photos while holding down the options key ⌥ and release the key when you are seeing the dialog to select a library. Select your old iPhoto Library from the list of libraries. Then wait for Photos to create a Photos Library from it. The new Photos library will be created in the same folder as your iPhoto Library. You should be finding all phots and videos in the new library, also the albums. The Events will be converted to albums.

Sep 26, 2023 1:50 PM in response to léonie

I am using an Intel Mac with OS 12.6. I want to restore my old iphoto pictures from a time machine back up. Can I do this and what are the steps. I was told to restore the photos in the time machine iPhoto to the Pictures folder, but I don't know how to do that. They will not go into the Pictures folder on my intel Mac because I can not locate the pictures, Ii can only locate iPhoto in the TimeMachine back ups.

Thank you

Mar 28, 2024 5:27 PM in response to kathyje

I use Ventura 13 on my MAC. I did delete iPHOTO's when I was trying to clear out large files. After some of the suggestions here had failed. I wnt to "DISK UTILITY." I opened it and ran FIRST AID. After it ran, I saw a recovery taking place that took a few minutes and I had my iPHOTOS back with no losses. I hope other MAC users will take advantage of this program in their MAC's.

How can I get my old iPhotos on new iMac with system catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.