You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't edit song song info of my music in apple music

I have a lot of music in my apple music library. Most of it was purchased through itunes. When I try to edit the song info on certain songs, it won't let me. What's weird is that some songs it will let me. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why this is. My permissions are set to read and write. I never had this problem when using itunes. Any help? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 12:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 9:44 AM

Since Sonoma I have been unable to Edit multiple songs at the same time in Music. Selecting all tracks from one compilation album. I can add the tick for compilation album. Change album artist to "various Artists" but when I hit OK it doesn't edit them. This is on both iMac and MacBook. I have to add all of the info individually for it to create the compilation file.

All my permissions are read write. It can't be a coincidence that its both Macs

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 14, 2023 9:44 AM in response to Sheree_P

Since Sonoma I have been unable to Edit multiple songs at the same time in Music. Selecting all tracks from one compilation album. I can add the tick for compilation album. Change album artist to "various Artists" but when I hit OK it doesn't edit them. This is on both iMac and MacBook. I have to add all of the info individually for it to create the compilation file.

All my permissions are read write. It can't be a coincidence that its both Macs

Aug 13, 2023 10:38 AM in response to Infamous XC

Hey Infamous XC,

We suggest making sure the permissions have been applied for all the items in the folder by following the steps below.

1. On your Mac, select a folder or disk, then choose File > Get Info.
2. If the information in Sharing & Permissions isn’t visible, click the arrow  next to Sharing & Permissions. (You may also need to scroll down.)
3. Click the Action pop-up menu  at the bottom of the window, then choose “Apply to enclosed items.”

For future reference, the steps are located in this article: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac.

If the steps above do not help, providing more details about what happens when you attempt to to edit certain songs. For example, are you getting an error message and/or an alert. This information may help you get more answers.

Take care.

Nov 29, 2023 11:52 AM in response to AsherSea

AsherSea wrote:

I did the download and I was then able to edit attributes. The folder structure is wacky. There are three "music" folders:
HD/Users/asher/Music/Music/Media/Music/Compilations/Shakedown 2/04 Uninvited.m4a

FWIW that is perfectly normal. You can persuade Music to omit the deepest Music folder if you edit a preference file. See the iTunes Media Organization section of Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community.

tt2

Nov 29, 2023 11:56 AM in response to hodgy1972

hodgy1972 wrote:

I don’t understand your answer. What did you download. Did you add them to iTunes Match, delete to leave in the cloud. Then download and edit? It’s when I have multiple songs to add to a compilation album that there’s a problem. Or add album art to multiple tracks at the same time. I can edit an individual track

As noted above see Repair security permissions for iTunes/Music for Mac - Apple Community. This covers a number of different scenarios where metadata changes might not take. In particular you may not be able to make some types of edit if the tracks are located in the cloud, i.e. purchases or Apple Music/iTunes Match content. If that is the case you can select the items in question, right-click, use Download to create local copies, make your edits, then, if you wish, select and right-click again and use Remove Download to free up local storage.

tt2

Dec 2, 2023 6:35 AM in response to AsherSea

macOS gives each user a ~/Music folder into which data from music related apps can go, e.g. iTunes, GarageBand, Logic, and now Music (the app). Music (the app) normally puts its library at ~/Music/Music. Inside that it places a media folder, called Media, or internally Media.localized. Prior to iTunes 9 iTunes would put artist folders inside the media folder (then called iTunes Music) which also held the special folders for other media types such as Movies, Podcasts, Audiobooks, etc. With iTunes 9 the default media folder name became iTunes Media with artist folders being moved down into a new Music subfolder. Despite the fact that Music (the app) is now focused (almost) solely on music this extra folder is still generated by default. E.g. typically you might see ~/Music/Music/Media/Music before you get to an artist folder. The last Music folder can be removed by changing the preference file I talk about in the Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community user tip.

The actual location and name of your primary Music library folder are up to you, and it is also possible to use a different name for the media folder within it, or have that located elsewhere, but that all adds potential complications down the line should you want to move the library to a bigger drive or a new computer, so I'd generally recommend sticking to the standard layout if you can. When you've migrated from iTunes to Music your content may well be in the old iTunes Media folder, which could in turn have another Music subfolder, in which case the user tip has advice on manipulating the library into the new layout if you wish.

tt2

Can't edit song song info of my music in apple music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.