You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange magnifier/search icon displayed on webpage by Safari iOS

Hi all,

There’s a website that sends daily emails about computer info. The summary line is a link to a webpage.

When that page opens, an icon that looks like a white magnifying glass inside a black circle is displayed.

If you tap on it, it opens up a search field where you can input words.

I’ve enclosed 3 screenshots showing it.

No other websites or webpages/URLs display this icon.

I’d like to know what it is and how to disable it as I have no need for it and it’s a distraction.

I contacted the website and they feel the issue is at my end.

Their reply: “InfoAve Daily comes from an RSS feed and it's a summary only and is sent vy FeedBlitz”.

I can provide more detailed info if needed.

Can anyone help me or give me some ideas.

Thank you.

-Marty (iPhone 8 iOS 16.6)

iPhone 8

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 1:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 10:51 AM

Hey martinfromhamden,

We're grateful that you posted here so we can help you figure this out.

This sort of feature is something included by the website developer and not dictated by Safari. It sounds like you reached out to the web developer already, however our recommendation would be to stay in contact with them since that is something they would need to address inside of the actual code or via the design tools they used to create that website.

We hope this helps.

Cheers.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2023 10:51 AM in response to martinfromhamden

Hey martinfromhamden,

We're grateful that you posted here so we can help you figure this out.

This sort of feature is something included by the website developer and not dictated by Safari. It sounds like you reached out to the web developer already, however our recommendation would be to stay in contact with them since that is something they would need to address inside of the actual code or via the design tools they used to create that website.

We hope this helps.

Cheers.

Aug 13, 2023 11:43 AM in response to nathan430

Hi Nathan430,

I'm sure you've hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure about the forum rules here and how in-depth I can go when discussing another company or website, so let me just preface my reply by saying the folks who own and run the Cloudeight/Info Ave company with the URL thundercloud.net (as is visible in my screenshots) are really nice folks who specialize in helping people with all sorts of "Windows" computer problems - as well as discussing and answering "general computer questions".

They limit their topics and help to strictly "Windows" - they don't get involved with Apple or their products, so I'm grateful that they answered my question, such as it was. Since my questions was "off topic" for them, it's probably for the best that I don't pursue it further, since they mentioned that I was the only one who's brought this to their attention. Since it's not a major obstacle, but just a distraction, I'll probably let it go - knowing that what you said really does appear to be the correct answer.

Perhaps another member of this forum may also be a subscriber of theirs, and if so, and they notice the same issue, then they might continue where I'm leaving off.

I'm grateful to know that it's not a known Apple issue with some websites, not some Safari or other setting that I could change at my end to fix. At the end of the day, I need to pick and choose my battles, and this one isn't worth offending anyone over.

Thank you again for your help and reply.

-Marty

Strange magnifier/search icon displayed on webpage by Safari iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.