Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I connect an external hard drive to a macbook Air

I just got a macbook air, but it only gas two strange usb ports.

Everything else I have uses the old UsB HOOKUPS like those on my old iMac.

What cables do I need to connect stuff. Or should I send the Air back.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 5:10 PM

6 replies

Aug 12, 2023 11:41 PM in response to tonidoll

tonidoll wrote:

I just got a macbook air, but it only gas two strange usb ports.

Those are USB4 / Thunderbolt 3 ports. They have USB-C connectors and they support USB, DisplayPort, and Thunderbolt 3 accessories.

Everything else I have uses the old UsB HOOKUPS like those on my old iMac.

What cables do I need to connect stuff. Or should I send the Air back.

You need USB-C to USB-A adapters. These come in various forms:

• Cables like the Apple one
  • Inline plug adapters
  • Inexpensive USB-A hubs that have four or more USB-A ports, but plug into a computer using a cable that has a USB-C plug on the end of it
  • USB-C and Thunderbolt docks that can add all sorts of things (including USB-A ports)

Look for adapters and adapter cables that support USB 3 speeds and that aren't for charging only.

Aug 12, 2023 11:51 PM in response to tonidoll

tonidoll wrote:

setting up the Air is daunting. I am really considering returning it. Are there any macbooks that just have old fashioned ports? thanks

Apple went all-in on USB-C / Thunderbolt ports several years ago. No current or recent Mac laptops have USB-A ports. Mac Mini and Mac Studio desktops have a couple of USB-A ports, but there again, the main expansion is via USB-C / Thunderbolt.

How do I connect an external hard drive to a macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.