Can't add accessories to Homekit; says "Apple Home" instead of "My Home Name"

When I try to add a new accessory (tried with all sorts of different accessories) to my home, HomeKit has recently started to pop up with "Add to "Apple Home"" instead of "Add to "My Home"". Then if I continue anyway, it says "Unable to Add Accessory; pairing with accessory failed". My Nanoleaf bulbs are recognised in the Nanoleaf app, but again, trying to add them to My Home presents with "Apple Home" and a failure. So, it's gotta be a HomeKit problem.

I've tried everything, and recently even nuked the whole home network, creating a new wifi SSID and new Apple Home - no luck.

I'm not using HKSR, and I'm not using "smart" router band switching, so I'm out of ideas. I need help because I can't add a thing now (except for HomePods as they don't use a QR code)

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 10:09 PM

Hi shaneebster,

Yep; Apple support couldn't figure anything out beyond "wait until the next software update that comes around", but I did eventually land on a workaround:

• (I deleted my Nanoleaf app but not sure if this is a required step or not)
  • Factory reset your Nanoleaf accessory manually using the light/power switch (i.e. not using the app), so that the accessory enters pairing mode (I found a couple of helpful Youtube vids for how to do this for my bulbs)
  • Add the accessory in the Home app but do not scan the QR code...
  • Instead, hit "More options" and your freshly-reset accessory should show in the list that populates here.
  • Then, use the pairing code which should be imprinted next to the QR code on your accessory to add it back in

My troubleshooting prior to this involved pretty much everything - reset Wifi; nuke the whole home on the Home app; tried different iCloud account; different iPhone; different Wifi network and router entirely - it's got to be a current Home app bug.

Worth noting that my workaround did not work for Eve Matter accessories; only my Nanoleaf Thread accessories. Did you happen to try adding Matter accessories prior to these issues? I have a feeling it relates to Matter integration somewhow... Good luck.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2023 10:09 PM in response to shaneebster

Hi shaneebster,

Yep; Apple support couldn't figure anything out beyond "wait until the next software update that comes around", but I did eventually land on a workaround:

• (I deleted my Nanoleaf app but not sure if this is a required step or not)
  • Factory reset your Nanoleaf accessory manually using the light/power switch (i.e. not using the app), so that the accessory enters pairing mode (I found a couple of helpful Youtube vids for how to do this for my bulbs)
  • Add the accessory in the Home app but do not scan the QR code...
  • Instead, hit "More options" and your freshly-reset accessory should show in the list that populates here.
  • Then, use the pairing code which should be imprinted next to the QR code on your accessory to add it back in

My troubleshooting prior to this involved pretty much everything - reset Wifi; nuke the whole home on the Home app; tried different iCloud account; different iPhone; different Wifi network and router entirely - it's got to be a current Home app bug.

Worth noting that my workaround did not work for Eve Matter accessories; only my Nanoleaf Thread accessories. Did you happen to try adding Matter accessories prior to these issues? I have a feeling it relates to Matter integration somewhow... Good luck.

Aug 13, 2023 12:51 PM in response to essentialist

Hi there essentialist,

To begin, you'll want to be sure you see your exact Nanoleaf accessory listed in this link to ensure it's compatible with the Home app: Home app - Accessories - Apple

Next, work through the steps below to see if they resolve the issue for you:

If accessories from several manufacturers aren't responding
Check if your smart home accessories are responding in the Home app after each step.
1. Update your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to the latest software.
2. Close the Home app on your iPhoneiPad, or Mac and reopen it.
3. Make sure your iPhone, iPad, or Mac is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your accessories. To control your accessories remotely, you must set up a home hub.
4. Turn on Bluetooth in the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad, or in System Settings on your Mac.
5. Restart any accessories that aren't responding. You may have to take the batteries out of your accessory and put them back in.
6. Check the manufacturer's app to see if accessories that aren't responding in the Home app need a firmware update. If the accessories aren't responding in the manufacturer's app, you may need to reset them.
7. If your accessories still aren't responding in the Home app, restart your devices:
8. Unplug your modem and router, then plug them back into power.
9. Unplug any third-party bridges and all home hubs (HomePod, HomePod mini, and Apple TV), then plug them back into power.
10. Restart accessories that aren't responding. You may have to take the batteries out of your accessory and put them back in.
11. Restart your iPhoneiPad, or Mac.
12. Check VPN and third-party security software to resolve potential network connectivity issues.
If your accessories still aren't responding, contact Apple Support.

You'll find those steps in this support article: If your HomeKit or Matter accessory isn't responding in the Home app - Apple Support

Take care.

Aug 13, 2023 5:21 PM in response to essentialist

Hi essentialist,

In the Home app are your HomePod devices associated with the correct home? As you indicate the existence of a previous home configuration it will be important to ensure no devices are still associated with the previous setup and particularly those devices that function as a home hub. Instructions for HomePod settings are covered in Change HomePod settings and you may be required to reset and then reconfigure them. If so, see Reset HomePod or HomePod mini for those steps.

Should the matter persist the next step would be to contact Apple Support for additional assistance and troubleshooting.

Regards.

Aug 13, 2023 5:06 PM in response to Sparks0829

Thanks for your reply but none of this works unfortunately. It's not that the accessories aren't responding, it's that the Home App attempts to add anything new to "Apple Home" instead of recognising the current "My Home" - it's as though it doesn't detect the home at all. I've factory reset the entire home and wiped the home app incl all accessories, and my wifi network, restarted all devices. I think this must be iCloud holding on to some remnant from an old Home setup because there's no other logical reason the app should be attempting to add anything to an imaginary "Apple Home" that doesn't exist.

Aug 20, 2023 10:25 PM in response to essentialist

Hi essentialist,

That did the trick for me. Thanks so much!

I previously tried adding Eve Cam after switching to the “new” HomeKit architecture (aka Matter). I failed to connect that so returned the item. I don’t think those have Matter support yet but I could be wrong.

This is the first time I have added a new accessory since that last attempt. I had given up hope it will work at all. Definitely seems like a bug in the current implementation.

Thanks again!

Aug 31, 2023 1:50 PM in response to essentialist

Hi essentialist,

I encountered the same problem with a Tapo "Matter" accessory and your workaround of adding the accessory using the "More options..." did work. The popup that appears talks about adding an accessory to the correct home name instead of "Apple Home". And it works with either entering the code from the "Matter" sticker, or taping "Use Camera" and scanning the "Matter" sticker.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2023 7:49 AM in response to GeorgesZ

Interesting. I am also having a iPhone 11 Pro Max and I was never able to ever add a Matter device.

Tested this with all the right steps that you can find on the internet for Home/Matter/Eve Devices. Nothing seems to work.

Trying that trick with using the "other options" instead of just scanning the Matter code seems to at least see my device (Eve Energy with native Matter support) but then fails after scanning the matter code just like the direct way of scanning the matter code.

Now I also tried adding my Philips Hue Bridge since they added matter support. And I get the same issues there. So this seems to be a very annoying issue with the stupid Apple Home app. It is really sad that there is no real debuggging option for us users here. Like give us at least a proper error code.

Can't add accessories to Homekit; says "Apple Home" instead of "My Home Name"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.