Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Back-up migration

I have Ventura backups for my M1 MacBook Pro, and yet when I try to restore from my Time Machine Back-up Drive I am told to use migration? I can no longer simply restore from the back-up drive?

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 11:37 PM

7 replies

Aug 13, 2023 1:53 AM in response to VeryVeryCheesedOff

This article from Apple on Restoring files from a Time Machine Backup

refer below

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

From your above description, it looks like the computer has been booted into Recovery Mode for the Apple Silicon Computer

refer below

Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon

Excerpt from above link

• " Time Machine System Restore: Restore your data from a Time Machine backup. In the Recovery app, select Restore from Time Machine, then click Continue. To return to the Recovery app, choose Time Machine System Restore > Quit Time Machine System Restore. See Use Time Machine to restore your system. "

Aug 13, 2023 1:58 AM in response to VeryVeryCheesedOff

Follow on to previous reply.

Restoring individual files from a TM Backup does not require booting into Recovery Mode

Restoring your User Data to a previous period in time does required Booting into Recovery Mode

Notation on the latter of the two above statements

Time Machine Backup does backup only the User Data Volume on this computer.

Time Machine Backup does not contain a full and working copy of the Operating System

Aug 13, 2023 3:12 PM in response to VeryVeryCheesedOff

VeryVeryCheesedOff wrote:

Thanks for the directions. I have a silicon M1, and I have stored the data on a new hard drive, The problem is it does not seem to recognise that it is a hard disk, and insists that instead of simply restoring the data that for some unknown reason I should use migration as if it is from a different system.

Do you want to restore the data to your Mac? If so, then you use Migration Assistant, preferably in the Setup Assistant. If you already created a user with the same name as the data you want to restore, you will run into problems.

Just so you understand, there is no mass data restore function from Time Machine. You must migrate the data from the backup.

Back-up migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.