Apple Watch

Hi. I want to buy an Apple Watch with cellular data on an American cruise ship and the guy is worried that my UK service provider, O2, won’t support the cellular data. I didn’t think there would be any issue but wondered if anyone could confirm? I obviously can talk to O2 too if necessary. Thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 5:40 AM

There are 2 cellular radios.

One for Canada, U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico

One for the rest of the world.

It is very likely, the U.S. cruse ship sells the model that would NOT work in the UK.

You can check the Apple Watch model number against the models that work in different countries here:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2023 5:40 AM in response to RoryLeRoiRouge

There are 2 cellular radios.

One for Canada, U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico

One for the rest of the world.

It is very likely, the U.S. cruse ship sells the model that would NOT work in the UK.

You can check the Apple Watch model number against the models that work in different countries here:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

Aug 13, 2023 12:32 AM in response to RoryLeRoiRouge

Firstly the Watch would need the additional O2 fee to add a new number eSIM to the watch itself for use in the UK.

And yes unless O2 provide a cellular signal or allow roaming on the Watch as well as the iphone you will not get cellular service. You should ask O2 about that if you really want to use the watch without the iphone in your pocket or bag.

Most people would use wi-fi on board and possibly wi-fi calling unless the ship has cellular, and local cellular roaming, possibly on the iphone only, when ashore.

However ships usually have their own time zone "Ship's time" and you are recommended to carry your iPhone that has the ships time with you when ashore otherwise the without the phone close by Watch will revert to local time.

Personally I would not think it was worth the extra £10 a month just to make calls on the watch alone when I can do that anyway on the cheaper model with my phone in my pocket, which it always is!

Aug 13, 2023 5:09 AM in response to LD150

Hi. That’s extremely useful.

Maybe I could refine my question: if I have an iPhone, and I always have it with me, could I use the American Apple Watch simply as a second screen, maybe just Bluetoothing from the iPhone?

In that case, I wouldn’t need to have cellular data or trouble wifi.

Btw, the ship is just where I happen to be shopping, I’m not on it long term

Thanks again

Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.