Lost Documents Folder in Finder after iCloud sync

Guys, I'm in a bit of a panic here as I've lost my Documents Folder from Finder after I tried to sync it with iCloud.

The process I followed was:

System Settings / Clicked on my name / iCloud / iCloud Drive / Desktop & Documents Folder.

I then changed my mind as it did not give me an option to select specific folders, so I unchecked the Desktop and Documents Folder option.

Now I've totally lost the documents folder on Finder. I urgently need this. How can I retrieve it please?

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 6:50 AM

A1ps wrote:

Guys, I'm in a bit of a panic here as I've lost my Documents Folder from Finder after I tried to sync it with iCloud.

System Settings / Clicked on my name / iCloud / iCloud Drive / Desktop & Documents Folder.

I then changed my mind as it did not give me an option to select specific folders, so I unchecked the Desktop and Documents Folder option.

Now I've totally lost the documents folder on Finder. I urgently need this. How can I retrieve it please?

Finder>Go>Go to Folder>copy & paste:

~/iCloud Drive (Archive)

iCLoud Drive (Archive) - here you should find all your files

ref: iCloud drive missing desktop and documents

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Recover deleted files on iCloud-

Recover deleted files on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2023 6:50 AM in response to A1ps

A1ps wrote:

Finder>Go>Go to Folder>copy & paste:

~/iCloud Drive (Archive)

iCLoud Drive (Archive) - here you should find all your files

ref: iCloud drive missing desktop and documents

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Recover deleted files on iCloud-

Recover deleted files on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Aug 13, 2023 7:15 AM in response to A1ps

A1ps wrote:

Than you Leroy for your reply. I am now breathing again as I've retrieved my documents from Archive. But now I cannot add or drag and drop documents to the iCloud folder on Finder.

iCloud Drive is now off in settings as I don't want to sync all the folders from my Mac to iCloud, but I want to add select documents to iCloud like I did before all of this mess happened.

See if there is anything here—

Upload and download files from iCloud Drive on iCloud.com

Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive

Aug 13, 2023 7:11 AM in response to leroydouglas

Than you Leroy for your reply. I am now breathing again as I've retrieved my documents from Archive. But now I cannot add or drag and drop documents to the iCloud folder on Finder.

iCloud Drive is now off in settings as I don't want to sync all the folders from my Mac to iCloud, but I want to add select documents to iCloud like I did before all of this mess happened.

Lost Documents Folder in Finder after iCloud sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.