Calling expert users of very early trackpad and keyboards!

I've switched from iMac to MacBook Air (2017) plus Dell screen. I moved a couple of months ago and found my very early trackpad. magic keyboard and mouse and now I've decided I'd like to use those with the new set up.

The problem is the MacBook can't find the the keyboard and trackpad. I had success with the mouse (same vintage) by going back to the iMac to unpair it - then it could be found.

Unfortunately, the keyboard and trackpad weren't paired with the iMac. So now I wonder if they were paired with another device that I no longer remember.

Another possible problem could be they're just old and aren't turning on. It's hard to tell because The on/off button is on the right hand side and there is no LED light to show when it's on. I've changed the batteries on everything.

Can anyone help me solve this. It would be so great to be able to re-use these devices. I'm sure they're functioning and I just hate waste!!!

TIA😍

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 8:13 AM

See if any of the following support articles can help:

Alternately, you can contact Apple Support directly. To do so, simply select the "Support" link on the lower left-hand side of this forum's web page. You can also wait a bit to see if someone else, who may already have these devices, chime in with a solution that worked for them. Good luck!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 8:13 AM in response to bigben1960

See if any of the following support articles can help:

Alternately, you can contact Apple Support directly. To do so, simply select the "Support" link on the lower left-hand side of this forum's web page. You can also wait a bit to see if someone else, who may already have these devices, chime in with a solution that worked for them. Good luck!

Aug 13, 2023 1:27 PM in response to bigben1960

Just to be sure about the mouse ...

... Apple introduced the wired Mighty Mouse in 2005, eventually renamed it the Apple Mouse, and continued to sell it until 2017. They also introduced a wireless version in 2006, and discontinued selling in three years later.

Mighty Mouse

Both of these were replaced by the wireless Magic Mouse in 2009.

Based on what you posted, I'm going to assume that you have the Mighty Mouse. Since you are not having any issues with pairing it, let's move on to the keyboard.

Here I'm going to assume that you have a wireless Apple keyboard. Ok, there are a number of these keyboards.

• A1016 - 1st gen M92700LL/A, which uses 4 AA batteries. It was released in 2003 and discontinued in 2015. It was succeeded by the Magic Keyboard. It did not come with USB ports, and the on/off switch is located on the bottom of the keyboard. It did not include a numeric keyboard.
  • A1255 - 2nd gen MB167LL/A, which uses 3 AA batteries. Introduced in 2007. It has a power button on the right side. It did not include a numeric keyboard.
  • A1314 - 3rd gen MC184LL/A, which uses 2 AA batteries. Introduced in 2009.
  • A1314 - 4th gen MC184LL/A, which used 2 rechargeable AA batteries. Introduced in 2011. Note that it has the same model identifiers as the 3rd gen model.

What I'm not sure of with the 2-4th gen keyboards is if they all came with USB ports. The reason that is important, is that you would first need to make a wired connection between the keyboard and the Mac to get it recognized BEFORE you can pair it by Bluetooth. There should be an option to "Set up a Bluetooth Keyboard" under System Settings/Preferences > Keyboard.

Sorry, I don't have any information on the trackpad, but I believe it will be similar to that of setting up a keyboard.

Aug 14, 2023 7:44 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax thanks for your time here. Appreciate it.

From what you say I have a 3rd gen keyboard. There's no USB port.

So it's bluetooth set up but my MacBook Air can't detect it - using the system preferences/keyboard set up.

That means either it isn't working anymore - how do I know when there's no LED light?

Or it's paired with an old Macbook Air now long gone. Even though I can't recall pairing it and using it with an earlier MacBook, I feel this must be the problem, on the basis that I was able to pair the mouse after I unpaired it with my iMac.

So the question is how do you reset it if you can't unpair it.

The joy of tech!

Aug 14, 2023 10:16 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you. I went straight to support. Problem was the device wasn't on. They showed me where the LED light is and I cleaned out the contact which was dirty. Hey presto. At least, hey presto for the keyboard. No luck with the trackpad which I guess must be broken. Weird and a bit frustrating but I feel grateful to have paired 2 out of 3 and the most important accessories. Guess I'll do without the track pad for now.

Cheers.

Calling expert users of very early trackpad and keyboards!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.