Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

How can I delete duplicate photos on my iPhone and iPad

I’m trying to delete photos and videos that are duplicates on my iPhone. How can I do this?

Is this possible to do easily or so I have to go through all of my photos individually?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 5:29 AM

Last week I had about 2500 photos in my library. It has just switched to almost 9000!! What happened. I’ve been deleting photos of late, not adding?!

6 replies

Aug 13, 2023 6:41 PM in response to XSPV

XSPV Said:

"How can I delete duplicate photos on my iPhone and iPad: I’m trying to delete photos and videos that are duplicates on my iPhone. How can I do this? Is this possible to do easily or so I have to go through all of my photos individually?"

-------

Troubleshooting Duplicate Photos:

Avoid Using Third-Party Apps for this:

Important: Avoid using Third-Party Apps as they may damage your photo library. Find More on this Here: Using Third-Party Apps to Remove Duplicate Photos Might Damage your Photos for macOS Library - Apple Support

See this 2017 Post's Reply: Duplicates in Photo - Apple Communities

Important: Three (supposedly) safe apps are listed there. But being authored 3.5 years ago (as of this reply) and with another operating system in the day, I suspect this would not be the same case as of this reply. So, contact those developers, and see what they have to say.

Time Machine Backup:

Important: Today,, Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac(s), so that you can have something to restore your Mac(s) from, should anything go wrong with this.

Photos Backup:

Important: Back up the Library in Photos on Mac so that all stays safe for receiver ---- use an external device.

Aug 13, 2023 6:39 PM in response to XSPV

XSPV Said:

"How can I delete duplicate photos on my iPhone and iPad: I’m trying to delete photos and videos that are duplicates on my iPhone. How can I do this? Is this possible to do easily or so I have to go through all of my photos individually?"

-------

Troubleshooting Duplicate Contacts:

Contact Apple Support:

1. Go Here: If you See Duplicate Contacts after Setting Up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: If you see duplicates in Contacts on iCloud.com, visit Apple Support for help.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

How can I delete duplicate photos on my iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.