Mac 10.13.6

Which version of imovie is compatible because my clips looks all washed out

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 7:13 AM

Hi,

As John Galt said in his post, iMovie 10.1.12 will run on your High Sierra operating system.

Possibly your problem of washed-out looking cliips stems from recording iPhone videos in HDR (High Dynamic Range). Earlier iMovie versions did not support HDR. If that turns out to be the case, you can go to your iPhone Settings/Camera/Record Video and turn off HDR video for future recordings. For videos already recorded in HDR, you can convert them by exporting them from the iMovie app on the iPhone or iPad, or exporting the videos from the Photos app to your Mac, or using Air Drop and turning off HDR.

Take a look at this thread and see if anything in there applies to you:

When I import videos from the IPhone 12 I… - Apple Community

Also, this thread on HDR:

Play HDR video on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If the issue is not HDR video, try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Another thing that you can try is to create a new project and see if your videos display properly there.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 7:13 AM in response to Boynton33

Hi,

As John Galt said in his post, iMovie 10.1.12 will run on your High Sierra operating system.

Possibly your problem of washed-out looking cliips stems from recording iPhone videos in HDR (High Dynamic Range). Earlier iMovie versions did not support HDR. If that turns out to be the case, you can go to your iPhone Settings/Camera/Record Video and turn off HDR video for future recordings. For videos already recorded in HDR, you can convert them by exporting them from the iMovie app on the iPhone or iPad, or exporting the videos from the Photos app to your Mac, or using Air Drop and turning off HDR.

Take a look at this thread and see if anything in there applies to you:

When I import videos from the IPhone 12 I… - Apple Community

Also, this thread on HDR:

Play HDR video on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If the issue is not HDR video, try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Another thing that you can try is to create a new project and see if your videos display properly there.

-- Rich

Mac 10.13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.