You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi won't stay connected on a MacBook Pro

I've reset my mac, reset my wifi, forgot the network and rejoined with the correct password, and made sure my mac is up to date with the most recent update. I have other devices which stay connected to my wifi with no issues.

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 10:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 11:13 AM

Hold down the Option key while you click on the Wi-Fi icon on the menubar. you get a snapshot of current parameters like this older one;

transcribe or screenshot and post for analysis:

while that menu is open, consider running Wireless diagnostics for some simple recommendations.

8 replies

Aug 15, 2023 8:42 AM in response to b_thom

You have good Raw signal RSSI at -45 dB. The range is about -40 dB right next too your Router, -65 dB getting so faint that your Mac will actively try to find another network to join.

Noise at -95 dB seems good low noise.

You have connected in the interference prone and typically VERY busy 2.4GHz band.

Using channel 10 suggests that you have already tried a manual setting, attempting to dodge existing networks. The tragic flaw in that approach is that there are really only three usable 20 MHz-wide channels in the 2.4 GHz band, and each spills up and down two additional channels.

This spectrum display from WiFi Explorer (an inexpensive Utility with a free trail) shows the problem very graphically:

these people are not getting ANYTHING substantial done on 2.4 GHz band.

Aug 15, 2023 9:14 AM in response to b_thom

That router is likely 5 GHz capable, especially since it is modern enough to feature WPA2 encryption.

Best practice has always been to use "automatic" channel section (inside each 2.4 GHz or 5 Ghz band). When set to automatic, your Router listens to the existing traffic as it starts up, and chooses the least-busy channel. It is not an accident that every debugging procedure starts with "cycle the power to your Router."

Be sure to set EACH band to "automatic" channel selection.

-----

The Mac will try to connect automatically on what APPEARS to be the "best" channel, and your manually-assigned channel on 2.4 GHz looks great... until your neighbors start using a nearby channel and clobber your data.

if that does not help enough, you can try is to 'split' your network and give each band its own network-name. Then you can selectively connect to either the 2.4 GHz (by one name)or the 5 GHz (by a slightly different name) because each will have a unique name. This also requires a change inside your Router.

Wifi won't stay connected on a MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.