Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Camera adapter connection to usb c iPad

I have an A1619 Camera Adapter to connect my grandson's midi piano to an iPad. The adapter connects the midi usb A device and a usb c charge cable to an iPad through a lightning connector. The iPad I have is a 10th generation with a usb c input, not lightning. What kind of adapter can I get to convert the lightning male to the usb c input of the iPad? I have seen a lot of adapters, but many either say charge only, no audio, or have reviews that say no data transfer.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 12:16 PM

As illustrated, you might substitute the existing Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter with the suggested USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MUF82ZM/A

A USB-C hub, as also suggested, would replace both the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter and existing USB hub. The iPad’s USB PD (Power Delivery) Power Adapter would connect to the USB-C hub - and power the entire setup.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 12:16 PM in response to Plasma52

As illustrated, you might substitute the existing Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter with the suggested USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter:

A USB-C hub, as also suggested, would replace both the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter and existing USB hub. The iPad’s USB PD (Power Delivery) Power Adapter would connect to the USB-C hub - and power the entire setup.

Aug 14, 2023 10:11 AM in response to Plasma52

If you have an iPad with a USB-C port, of Apple’s own Adapters, perhaps the most useful/flexible would be the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter:

Alternatively, perhaps consider a good quality USB-C hub. There are many third-party USB Hubs that have a USB-C connection for iPad plus a USB-C PD (Power Delivery) pass-through power connector to which you can connect your USB-C Power Adapter - along with the hub itself incorporating a combination of additional USB-C ports, USB 2.0/3.1 Type-A ports, Ethernet LAN, HDMI, VGA, SD and microSD card-readers.

Perhaps consider Kingston, Anker, Hyperdrive and Satechi - although there are many others from which to choose. A Google Search for USB-C Hubs compatible with iPad will find a number of articles and recommendations. 

Speaking of personal experience, the Kingston Nucleum has proven itself to be particularly flexible for connection of various USB devices and storage - featuring twin USB3.1 Type-A, downstream USB-C and SD/microSD card slots, HDMI, plus a power pass-through USB-C port that can accept +45W from a suitable USB power source.

Aug 14, 2023 12:11 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the fast reply.

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain correctly. One thing, I just realized that the charge connection in the camera adapter is a lightning connection, not usb c. Although that doesn't help anything here. See the photo for clarification. My issue is with the camera adapter to iPad connection as seen in the yellow circle.....lightning vs usb c.

Camera adapter connection to usb c iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.