Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

How can I check my iPhone genuine

How can I check if buy used iPhone it’s genuine

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 1:58 PM

I’d be much more concerned about Activation Lock, and about Carrier Lock, and buying a lost or stolen or IMEI blacklisted device. None of which can be easily nor reliably ascertained remotely, unfortunately.

Here is what can happen: The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Well-known online sales websites are unfortunately all too common sources of lost or stolen devices, and the buyer there usually ends up with an expensive brick to recycle, and the seller is long gone.

Don’t buy a device from a third-party seller you don’t trust, or—if you’re willing to speculate—do expect the purchase to be a brick.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 1:58 PM in response to navasms

I’d be much more concerned about Activation Lock, and about Carrier Lock, and buying a lost or stolen or IMEI blacklisted device. None of which can be easily nor reliably ascertained remotely, unfortunately.

Here is what can happen: The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Well-known online sales websites are unfortunately all too common sources of lost or stolen devices, and the buyer there usually ends up with an expensive brick to recycle, and the seller is long gone.

Don’t buy a device from a third-party seller you don’t trust, or—if you’re willing to speculate—do expect the purchase to be a brick.

Aug 14, 2023 2:07 PM in response to navasms

A genuine iPhone will be able to connect to the App Store. A fake made to look like an iPhone, but is really an Android phone, won't be able to do that. It will either connect to the Google Play Store, or will show a message a connection to the App Store couldn't be made, despite the fact everything else on the Internet works.

Other than that, the advice from MrHoffman and Bob Timmons are both spot on. Be absolutely sure, at minimum, the phone has been reset as new ("Hello" screen comes up).

How can I check my iPhone genuine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.