Wired Apple keyboard (A1048) and M2 Mini

Can the old wired Apple keyboard (model A1048) be used on the 2023 M2/M2 Pro Minis? Would you just plug it into one of the mini's USB-A ports?

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 6:29 PM

That notch in the USB plug is there to mate with the USB ports on the older PPC Mac’s. Apple originally supplied a matching extension cable (image above) with that keyboard. If that keyboard cable plug does not fit into the new Mac mini’s USB port, then you need to find and use that USB extension cable.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 6:29 PM in response to tonycmac

That notch in the USB plug is there to mate with the USB ports on the older PPC Mac’s. Apple originally supplied a matching extension cable (image above) with that keyboard. If that keyboard cable plug does not fit into the new Mac mini’s USB port, then you need to find and use that USB extension cable.

May 30, 2024 6:42 AM in response to tonycmac

I've run into this on my new M2 ultra Mac studio. Upgraded from a mid 2012 Mac pro.

I raised an apple care case as I found that plugging the ORIGINAL keyboard in to the front 2 ports, it would randomly not work at login.

However connected to either a thunderbolt or "standard" usb port on the rear it is fine.

Turns out, our keyboards are classified as "unsupported " due to their age and the drivers aren't loaded at start up to the front 2 ports.

If you connect it to the rear ports on its own or via a hub, no problems.

Hope this helps

Aug 14, 2023 5:13 PM in response to tonycmac

I haven't tested any of my old Apple USB Keyboards with the latest Silicone Mac mini's.

I do know for sure, that Logitech USB and other USB keyboard work with the latest Mac mini's.

Not sure if the A1048 Apple Keyboard originally came with a notched USB extension cable or not.

But if it did, then you will need to use that extension cable to plug the keyboard into the newer Mac's.

Wired Apple keyboard (A1048) and M2 Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.