You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2015 Mac Pro Retina won't boot to disk utility, Progess bar half way stuck.

Apple MacBook Pro Retina MF843LL/A 13” Laptop, 3.1GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Memory, 512GB SSD, macOS 10.14 Mojave 

I had an update on Monterey and once It was downloaded It won't do anything.

It started with Volume Hash Mismatch detected on volume disk1s2.

So I had a chat with Apple support and they had me erase the mac hd drive, APFS system volume. After that it still would not boot correctly. They said the hard drive is bad.

After reading I thought I could go back into disk utility and maybe do first aid and try again but I can't even get to the disk menu. I can get it to the globe spinning then the apple with progress bar gets stuck half way with the fan humming, thats it. I've tried command R, option command R, option command R & P, option by it self several times. I also tried command D and the diagnostics passed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Keith

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 6:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 7:05 PM

Most times the "Volume Hash Mismatch" indicates a memory failure which for an Apple laptop means a bad Logic Board. There have been several confirmed cases on these forums of users reporting Apple identifying a memory issue while running their service diagnostics and replacing the Logic Boards since memory is soldered to the Logic Board in all Apple Retina laptops. An SSD failure is also a potential culprit as well.

If you have access to another Mac, then you could try creating a bootable macOS USB installer to see if you can get macOS installed to the internal SSD or even to an external USB3 SSD. If successful at installing & booting macOS from the internal or external SSD, then you can try checking the health of the internal SSD. You can use DriveDx (free trial period) to check the health of the SSD. Post the complete DriveDx text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Unfortunately drive health monitoring apps don't accurately interpret the health of an SSD since not all "Warning" or "Failing" notices are not fatal for an SSD. The Apple SSD's don't provide much health information.

You can also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected, but unfortunately the diagnostics rarely detect hardware issues. Since the diagnostics are not based on macOS, there is a slightly better chance you may be able to run them than actually booting into Internet Recovery Mode.

The 2015 model is now considered "Vintage" so repairs are only possible as long as the necessary part(s) are still available. Keep in mind that repairing a "Vintage" Mac is risky if the replacement part fails within 90 days because Apple may no longer have a replacement part to honor that 90 day part warranty. Personally I would recommend purchasing another laptop since the money for the repair is better invested in a new laptop.

After verifying all of your data has transferred to a new computer, then & only then, make sure to properly prepare the old laptop for recycling by following the instructions in this Apple article so that your AppleID and personal data are no longer associated with the old Mac:

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2023 7:05 PM in response to karaodi

Most times the "Volume Hash Mismatch" indicates a memory failure which for an Apple laptop means a bad Logic Board. There have been several confirmed cases on these forums of users reporting Apple identifying a memory issue while running their service diagnostics and replacing the Logic Boards since memory is soldered to the Logic Board in all Apple Retina laptops. An SSD failure is also a potential culprit as well.

If you have access to another Mac, then you could try creating a bootable macOS USB installer to see if you can get macOS installed to the internal SSD or even to an external USB3 SSD. If successful at installing & booting macOS from the internal or external SSD, then you can try checking the health of the internal SSD. You can use DriveDx (free trial period) to check the health of the SSD. Post the complete DriveDx text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Unfortunately drive health monitoring apps don't accurately interpret the health of an SSD since not all "Warning" or "Failing" notices are not fatal for an SSD. The Apple SSD's don't provide much health information.

You can also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected, but unfortunately the diagnostics rarely detect hardware issues. Since the diagnostics are not based on macOS, there is a slightly better chance you may be able to run them than actually booting into Internet Recovery Mode.

The 2015 model is now considered "Vintage" so repairs are only possible as long as the necessary part(s) are still available. Keep in mind that repairing a "Vintage" Mac is risky if the replacement part fails within 90 days because Apple may no longer have a replacement part to honor that 90 day part warranty. Personally I would recommend purchasing another laptop since the money for the repair is better invested in a new laptop.

After verifying all of your data has transferred to a new computer, then & only then, make sure to properly prepare the old laptop for recycling by following the instructions in this Apple article so that your AppleID and personal data are no longer associated with the old Mac:

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 15, 2023 6:37 AM in response to karaodi

karaodi wrote:

Early 2015 Mac Pro Retina won't boot to disk utility, Progess bar half way stuck.

Apple MacBook Pro Retina MF843LL/A 13” Laptop, 3.1GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Memory, 512GB SSD, macOS 10.14 Mojave 
I had an update on Monterey and once It was downloaded It won't do anything.
It started with Volume Hash Mismatch detected on volume disk1s2.

So I had a chat with Apple support and they had me erase the mac hd drive, APFS system volume. After that it still would not boot correctly. They said the hard drive is bad.

After reading I thought I could go back into disk utility and maybe do first aid and try again but I can't even get to the disk menu. I can get it to the globe spinning then the apple with progress bar gets stuck half way with the fan humming, thats it. I've tried command R, option command R, option command R & P, option by it self several times. I also tried command D and the diagnostics passed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Keith

Mac Pro is a desktop

your 2105 is a MacBook Pro is a notebook

you can try

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Aug 16, 2023 8:25 AM in response to karaodi

The simplest mode that MAY give you access to the drive to ERASE it is Target disk mode from another computer. Since its code is already in ROM, it may have a much smaller footprint and actually work.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

if it works, Target Disk Mode gives local access to the drive on a remote computer. You would then invoke Disk Utility on the local computer and select the remote drive and ERASE it.

Aug 15, 2023 8:27 AM in response to karaodi

revive and restore is for MacBook Pro with T2 chip. That tends to be models after 2017 model.

If you have MacOS Monterey installed, you disk is now in APFS format, and the perfectly good Recovery partition is INSIDE the APFS container disk, and cannect be seen by startup manager on Macs that were released before APFS was the default. That limits you to Internet Recovery.

When booting to Internet Recovery No drive need even be present, because the initiating code is all in ROM, and the rest is downloaded. Any drives required for temporary items (more than 25 small drives) are created as RAM disks.

However, your symptom of not making progress suggests your Mac may have a Hardware issue (such as a RAM problem) that is keeping it from completing the download. (or possibly is just disconnected during the download.)

Try it multiple times and see if you can get it to complete. Hardware issues, especially RAM problems, can be flaky and unpredictable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.