Is Account Recovery even an option here?

So...several years ago (2012-2014) I had an early-gen iPad. Screen busted an I didn't replace it.

Fast-forward to today. I wanted to sign up for AppleTV, so logged into the website with my (AppleID) username and password.

I get a screen that two-factor authentication has been enabled and a verification code will be sent to a phone number that is not mine. I did not enable two-factor authentication. Not recognizing the phone number, I sent a couple of "send me a code" requests, then a few minutes later, got an email that my password was changed (also not me).

I am completed locked out of my account; can't log in via web, do not have the original trusted device, do not have access (or even know) the associated phone number, or current password. All I have is the email account associated with it.

So, it seems that someone got my username and password, signed on as me, then enabled MFA to their phone.

I read the support article about Account recovery, and have several 'concerns':

• I don't see how to even initiate it without logging in somewhere (which is ironic).
  • From the article:
    • After you request account recovery, you get an email with a confirmation of your request and the date and time of when you can expect to regain access. This email arrives within 72 hours.
    • If you submitted your account recovery request with iforgot.apple.com through your device's browser, you should avoid using that device during this period. Using that device might cancel account recovery. 
      • I have no control over this, as the device is not mine.
    • To avoid delays, turn off other devices that are signed in with your Apple ID until account recovery is complete. 
      • Same
    • When the wait period is over, Apple sends you a text or automated phone call with instructions to regain access to your account. Follow the instructions to immediately regain access to your Apple ID.
      • It is not my phone that is associated with the account. This would be counter-productive.
    • In some cases, you might be able to speed up the account recovery process or reset your password immediately by verifying a six-digit code sent to your primary email address. 
      • Bingo! This makes me hopeful.
    • You might also be able to shorten the wait time by providing credit-card details to confirm your identity. If you’re given this option, an authorization request goes to the card issuer.*
      • This too.

Is account recovery appropriate here? Will it get me my account back? Any other options or suggestions?

(Posting this with my kid's account...)

Thanks,

Tukarisan

iPad (3rd generation)

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 12:07 PM

Hello,

I recommend changing passwords to any of your accounts if they were on Apple Key chain,

as to if they will most likely be harmed...

I recommend reading this-

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Best of luck

-TM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 15, 2023 2:05 PM in response to TrystynM

So, that link is essentially what brought me here.

I find this a bit amusing:

Title: How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password

2nd paragraph: "Before you start the account recovery waiting period, try to reset your password." 

There is a section titled: "After you start account recovery" but no mention anywhere about HOW to start that process...??

This other bit also makes me wonder if this is even the correct process: "If you remember your information and can sign in successfully, your wait period cancels automatically" The person who changed my password can just login again and abort the whole process, it sounds like...

It's just very frustrating that I am the account holder, and can verify that with transactions, dates, amounts, and other account activity, but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to restore my own access...am I missing some other process? Do I need to initiate this through an in-person, in-store action?

Thanks,

Tukarisan

Is Account Recovery even an option here?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.