Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

How to move photos from Library to Album

Hello,

I have an Apple iPhone XR with latest IOS 16.6.

How do I move photos from my Library to an Album. Not copy but move.

Thanks,

Tony

iPhone XR

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 2:17 AM

It would be useful if you could completely remove photos from the library and store them in an album. In most people iPhones the library is one big giant mess. Being able to move a photo into a particular album and securely store it there would be very useful. It would reduce the size of the library making it easier to find images there, it would prevent you accidentally deleting an image from an album during a tidy up of the library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2024 2:17 AM in response to SkepticalTony

It would be useful if you could completely remove photos from the library and store them in an album. In most people iPhones the library is one big giant mess. Being able to move a photo into a particular album and securely store it there would be very useful. It would reduce the size of the library making it easier to find images there, it would prevent you accidentally deleting an image from an album during a tidy up of the library.

Aug 15, 2023 1:13 PM in response to SkepticalTony

All of your photos remain in the Library unless you delete them (and if you delete a photo from the Library it is also deleted from albums). You can add a photo to one or more albums but it still remains in the Library. It does not take extra space -- there is only one photo stored even if added to albums, it is just one photo displayed in multiple places.

Jan 10, 2024 6:55 AM in response to David700

This is the way it used be in iPhoto. We could structure the library by moving photos between events.

Apple has intentionally changed this, when Photos came out. So I doubt that Apple will change this in the near future.

The new approach is, that we are no longer supposed to have to worry about the library structure. Photos is doing this for us by analysing all pictures in the library and then structuring it automatically for us.

• The library is already structured by the date a photo has been taken, by the year, the month, the day. Also by the location of the photo, by the date of the import or the most recent use.
  • Photos is creating quite a few albums automatically for us: one album for each media kind.

Crete any additional album you want. When you add a photo to an album it is not creating any duplicates, just a reference to the photo in the library. You can add a photo to many albums without needing extra storage. when you delete a photo from the library or from an album, delete only photos you no longer need.

How to move photos from Library to Album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.