Autocorrect to all caps

4 questions: How do I get my iPhone to stop autocorrecting names to ALL CAPS when I text? Without having to change the autocorrect settings for every single name? Or is this a bug that Apple needs to fix? Why would iOS replace Miller with MILLER in the first place?

iPhone SE

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 12:44 PM

11 replies

Aug 18, 2023 10:29 AM in response to H1290

I’m in a similar situation. I’ve reset my dictionary and it went away for a few days. But now it’s back again. Autocorrecting my last name to all caps! Really frustrating. It’s not in any of my contacts…

Any ideas? It would be GREAT if apple would create a feature to so I can specifically exclude this correction

Oct 14, 2023 7:06 AM in response to austinhombre

I have found this happens when I have that particular name entered into my contacts in all caps somewhere. Search through your contacts and look for any entries where Miller is in all caps (it may even be part of someone’s address or City, so look carefully not just at names) and change to upper/lower. That may solve it. Otherwise use the auto-replace entry method that others have suggested

Dec 3, 2023 10:58 AM in response to DrewFromNYC

I was pulling my hair out and going through all the different suggestions which I appreciate very much to get the all caps off my name every time I talk, texted it into messages.

What solved my problem was the suggestion about going into my contacts and sure enough my name was in all caps.

I changed it with a capital it getting in my first and last name and it fixed my texting texting right away.

Thank you!

Aug 18, 2023 1:58 PM in response to ccorcos

I’m not sure what else to suggest, other than to reset it again. Do you ever type your last name in all caps, for whatever reason?

I find that autocorrect is quick to learn something, but getting it to forget something without resetting it is almost impossible.

One last thing to check. Go to: Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement. See if you can find your last name in all caps anywhere. If so, delete it by swiping left on it.

If you don’t find this helpful, simply start a new thread; there is much combined knowledge here, and someone may have another idea: https://discussions.apple.com/post/question?communityId=2044020

Aug 15, 2023 1:41 PM in response to H1290

No. None of my contacts with last name "Miller" are all caps. Earlier today I typed "Miller" and it autocorrected to MILLER. I was using only the last name because the text recipient knew who I was talking about. However, I just tried to recreate this issue and now it is not autocorrecting Miller to all caps (in iMessage, at least). This used to happen more frequently, so maybe it is "learning?"

Oct 14, 2023 7:08 AM in response to austinhombre

I have found this happens when I have that particular name entered into my contacts in all caps somewhere. Search through your contacts and look for any entries where Miller is in all caps (it may even be part of someone’s address or City, so look carefully not just at names) and change to upper/lower. That may solve it. Otherwise use the auto-replace entry method that others have suggested

Autocorrect to all caps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.