Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Hidden Wi-Fi network

I need to know how to not make my Wi-Fi hidden on my iPhone. I saw a response about looking on the back of the router for a phone number for support with the model number but there’s no phone number - just the network number. I’ve called my Wi-Fi company and they were no help. Can you give me any suggestions on how to fix this? Would I need to give you the router model number? Thanks.

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 3:31 PM

See -> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

⤵️

Hidden network

Set to Disabled

A router can be configured to hide its network name (SSID). Your router might incorrectly use “closed” to mean hidden, and “broadcast” to mean not hidden.

Hiding the network name doesn't conceal the network from detection or secure it against unauthorized access. And because of the way that devices search for and connect to Wi-Fi networks, using a hidden network might expose information that can be used to identify you and the hidden networks you use, such as your home network. When connected to a hidden network, your device might show a privacy warning because of this privacy risk.

To secure access to your network, use the appropriate security setting instead.

----- 

If you need help with your Wi‑Fi password

If you need help with your Wi‑Fi password – Apple Support (UK)

•  You need to sign in to your router.
  • The Wi-Fi network name, or SSID (service set identifier), is the name your network that has a password.

or If you have iOS 16 / iPadOS 16:

Go to -> Settings -> tap Wi-Fi -> tap on the hideen Password -> enter Passcode -> you will then see the Wi-Fi Password.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2023 3:31 PM in response to Blueeyes77

See -> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

⤵️

Hidden network

Set to Disabled

A router can be configured to hide its network name (SSID). Your router might incorrectly use “closed” to mean hidden, and “broadcast” to mean not hidden.

Hiding the network name doesn't conceal the network from detection or secure it against unauthorized access. And because of the way that devices search for and connect to Wi-Fi networks, using a hidden network might expose information that can be used to identify you and the hidden networks you use, such as your home network. When connected to a hidden network, your device might show a privacy warning because of this privacy risk.

To secure access to your network, use the appropriate security setting instead.

----- 

If you need help with your Wi‑Fi password

If you need help with your Wi‑Fi password – Apple Support (UK)

•  You need to sign in to your router.
  • The Wi-Fi network name, or SSID (service set identifier), is the name your network that has a password.

or If you have iOS 16 / iPadOS 16:

Go to -> Settings -> tap Wi-Fi -> tap on the hideen Password -> enter Passcode -> you will then see the Wi-Fi Password.

Aug 15, 2023 1:32 PM in response to Blueeyes77

Your Wi-Fi network is hidden on your router; the router is just not sending the SSID. Your phone has nothing to do with it.

You can get the manual for your router from the manufacturer’s website; it will tell you how to log in to the router’s control center using a browser on your computer or iPhone. The manual will also tell you how to set or change the SSID. The website may also have an FAQ section, and this would be one of the common answers.

Hidden Wi-Fi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.