Problem with P2219H monitor on dell docstation and on new MacBook Pro M2 Max chip and 2 display ports monitors

Hello everyone,

I have the following challenge for you.

I have a MacBook Pro 15' 2019, intel based connected on a Dell docking station. I also have 3 external monitors connected on the doc: 1 Samsung G95, connected on a display port; 1 dell P2219H connected in another display port; and 1 dell P2219H connected on HDMI port.

Everything works fine and I'm enjoying a lot.

But them I decided to buy a new MacBook Pro 16'2023, M2 Max chip. It turns out that only 2 monitors are working, both the ones connected on the display ports. The P2219H connected on HDMI doesn't work at all.

I've tried to update the DisplayLink software, disconnect, connect, reconnect, etc... have selected the option "detect monitor" on the display settings on Mac and there's nothing I can do that makes the monitor works.

Then I change the computer back to the old one and bang! All 3 monitor works! Then I change back to the new computer and the problem is there. Thus, definitively my assumption is that HDMI port doesn't work with docking station combined with other 2 display port connections.

Can anyone confirm this or offer a solution ? Is very frustrating to have this kind of issue with such a expensive investment made in all of this equipment.

I appreciate your feedback.

Marcelo

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 2:16 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 16, 2023 8:26 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

a. The model is D6000

b. It's using a USB-C cable.

c. The third display does not work on the Dock. I've made additional tests yesterday: I've disconnected all the video cables from the Doc and tried all possible combinations, 1 cable at a time, 2 cables until all 3 cables. What I've figured out is that in fact what does not work well is when I have 3 monitors connected. HDMI port worked when I had 2 ports connected only. When I have all 3 ports connected it doesn't work. My take on this is that the problem might be on the new MacBook Pro, and the way it relates with the docking station. When I change back to the old Mac, it works perfectly.

Aug 16, 2023 8:48 AM in response to marcelo28

You are asking for a really extreme set of capabilities for a really limited dock intended and tested to run on Windows (only).

To directly support two hardware accelerated displays on a Mac, the port, the cable, and the first device (Dock or Display) must be genuine ThunderBolt. USB-C has only half as many data pathways, so it is not supported.

So you must rely on DisplayLink hardware and software to support any beyond the ones the Mac supports directly.

DisplayLink technology creates a "fake" display buffer in RAM, sends the data out over a slower interface to a stunt box with DisplayLink custom chips that put that data back onto a "legacy" interface.  It is not a true "accelerated" display, and it can suffer from lagging. Just adding the DisplayLink Driver is not adequate to get a picture -- you need a DisplayLink "stunt-box" or a Dock that includes DisplayLink chips.

It appears to me that differences in versions and capabilities of DisplayLink (and possibly differences in USB ports) are keeping you from being able to run your additional displays, even as "fake" displays without hardware acceleration.

There may be some settings in the dock that need to be adjusted, but I am not hopeful that will produce the results you desire:

Dell 6000 Users Guide

My recommendation is to connect your HDMI display directly to your new Mac's HDMI port, and live happily ever after.

Aug 16, 2023 10:16 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

That's exactly what I've figured out. I've connected HDMI directly to the new Mac and it worked. I believe that this should be a workaround, because there's no reasonable explanation for everything working fine in the old Mac and have this problem with the new Mac, so I believe there's more to dig about it.

However, as this workaround worked, I'll live with it.

Problem with P2219H monitor on dell docstation and on new MacBook Pro M2 Max chip and 2 display ports monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.