MacBook screen protectors

So Apple's general rule of thumb is never put a screen protector on a MacBook because nothing should be between the MacBook screen and keyboard. Yet, Apple sells these screen protectors on their website. I messaged someone from Apple, and they said I wouldn't have to remove this specific type of MacBook screen protector and that it will still close all the way without worrying that the screen will crack. Is this true? Have any of you used this type of screen protector? Does it close all the way?

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 9:33 AM

Well... all new MacBook Pro 14/16 from 2021 on... including MacBook Air M1/M2/M3, Macbook Air 15, will shortly cause dents, dimples, holes on the display without any screen protector. Just check for them! I had two and one that caused to render a pixel as dead... caused by little debris... no matter how you take care of the device. I put Spigen Glas.Tr on the new display ensemble, replaced by Apple under warranty. Everything is ok. You can remove it as the adhesive is just on the black edge of the protector.

...and NO!... using this protector for my MacBook Pro 14 (2021) does not cause any cracks or other stuff. The screen is MUCH safer now! Apple have an issue!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2023 9:33 AM in response to dre197

Well... all new MacBook Pro 14/16 from 2021 on... including MacBook Air M1/M2/M3, Macbook Air 15, will shortly cause dents, dimples, holes on the display without any screen protector. Just check for them! I had two and one that caused to render a pixel as dead... caused by little debris... no matter how you take care of the device. I put Spigen Glas.Tr on the new display ensemble, replaced by Apple under warranty. Everything is ok. You can remove it as the adhesive is just on the black edge of the protector.

...and NO!... using this protector for my MacBook Pro 14 (2021) does not cause any cracks or other stuff. The screen is MUCH safer now! Apple have an issue!

Nov 14, 2023 10:59 AM in response to ARMLINK

Okay so as someone who has been using a 15.4-inch MacBook po for 7 years with a screen protector on, I deem myself qualified enough to answer this. You can use a screen protector and even a silicon keyboard cover. Yes, the screen does indeed touch the keyboard cover since one encounter with a mosquito showed me how narrow the window is with the distance between the screen and the keyboard, the mosquito was flat-squished on the screen the next day I opened my laptop. So, Apple advised against using screen protectors because people were using camera covers and it broke the screen upon closing the Mac and then they asked for replacements or refunds.

In conclusion, you can use a screen protector and keyboard cover but then make sure nothing else is in the way when you close the lid.

Aug 16, 2023 3:38 AM in response to ARMLINK

Can you imagine the uproar if Apple arbitrarily excluded certain products or vendors? As long as the product meets Apple inclusion standards, it will be included. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.

It's up to you. If you feel your judgement is better than the collective user wisdom of this community then have at it.

Caveat emptor applies.

MacBook screen protectors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.