Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

how to keep iCloud’s photo backup and able to delete iPhone photos

I set to optimize iPhone storage already, does it mean I can deleted the copy on my iPhone while iCloud’s still have my photos copies

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 6:03 PM

VinTango Said:

"Thanks, I would like to keep copies in iCloud and not deleted in iCloud. Just delete local copies in iPhone."

-------

Upload to iCloud, then Delete form iPhone:

Then, upload these to iCloud. If you see a duly-grey down arrow, then that means it has not been downloaded to your iPhone. Once all of iCloud Photos is set up, it will upload: Set Up and Use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Note: If there are hundreds or thousands of photos, then you'd need to upgrade your iCloud plan to iCloud+. Go here: iCloud+ - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2023 6:03 PM in response to VinTango

VinTango Said:

"Thanks, I would like to keep copies in iCloud and not deleted in iCloud. Just delete local copies in iPhone."

-------

Upload to iCloud, then Delete form iPhone:

Then, upload these to iCloud. If you see a duly-grey down arrow, then that means it has not been downloaded to your iPhone. Once all of iCloud Photos is set up, it will upload: Set Up and Use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Note: If there are hundreds or thousands of photos, then you'd need to upgrade your iCloud plan to iCloud+. Go here: iCloud+ - Apple

Aug 15, 2023 5:29 PM in response to VinTango

VinTango Said:

"how to keep iCloud’s photo backup and able to delete iPhone photos: I set to optimize iPhone storage already, does it mean I can deleted the copy on my iPhone while iCloud’s still have my photos copies"

-------

Back Up your Photos First:

All should be fine. If the photos are not downloaded to your iPhone, then they would have been deleted from iCloud.

how to keep iCloud’s photo backup and able to delete iPhone photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.