Will my past purchased songs be unaffected if I cancel Apple Music

I’m currently trying out Apple Music with a free trial but I probably won’t keep it. I know that canceling means losing the songs I downloaded through the Apple Music service. (I was planning to buy the albums/songs I enjoyed later anyway) But I have 13 years worth of iTunes purchases and cd songs in my library. If i cancel Apple Music those songs will still be okay, right? It’s only the music I downloaded and streamed through Apple Music that I’ll lose access to, until I purchase them? I just want to be sure. Also I just got my first iPhone a year ago, does cancelling Apple Music effect the ability to “sync library” across devices?

iPhone 13

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 10:17 PM

Your past purchases shouldn’t be affected (unless they’re are removed from the iTunes Store) hence purchases should always be downloaded and backed up using Time Machine regularly just in case anything does goes wrong.

3 replies

Mar 13, 2024 5:06 PM in response to ekassos

When I purchased my new iPad Pro (to replace a lost and unrecovered iPad) this new iPad was indicated that I was in “free trial” of Apple Music. When opening up my playlist folders…there was no songs in them ! My iTunes past purchases were not on the IPad Pro.

I cancelled and unsubscribed from Apple Music immediately.

To note…each and every one of my songs were purchased through iTunes

I then went to iCloud and redownloaded all of my purchased iTunes songs.

All of my playlist folders remained empty !

I never wanted Apple Music for this exact reason. Never gave my informed consent for Apple Music to raid my purchased iTunes and remove them from my devices !

I want to be completely restored which includes my playlist contents…

HOW ??????????/

Aug 15, 2023 9:27 PM in response to shadow1983

If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can access your music library, including your playlists, on any device that has the Apple Music app and signed in with the same Apple ID that you use with your Apple Music subscription. You can also make your music library available across devices with iTunes Match. If you don't have either of those you won't be able to use Sync Library, as explained in Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices - Apple Support.

However, everything you purchased from the iTunes Store will still be available on any device associated with your Apple ID. To learn more about how to redownload music that you purchased from the iTunes Store if you're missing it after your Apple Music subscription expires, see Redownload music - Apple Support.

Will my past purchased songs be unaffected if I cancel Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.