How do I keep texts from appearing on both my iPhone and iPad?

I now receive all text messages on both my iPhone and iPad. I only want to receive them on my iPhone.

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 9:33 AM

Do you mean SMS messages (green) or iMessages (blue) or both? If you mean iMessages or both, go to Settings>Messages and sign out of iMessages. This will prevent you from getting iMessages and any SMS texts forwarded from your iPhone.

If you still want to get iMessages but not SMS messages on your iPad, on your iPhone, go to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding and remove your iPad.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2023 9:33 AM in response to sarah of B'ville

Do you mean SMS messages (green) or iMessages (blue) or both? If you mean iMessages or both, go to Settings>Messages and sign out of iMessages. This will prevent you from getting iMessages and any SMS texts forwarded from your iPhone.

If you still want to get iMessages but not SMS messages on your iPad, on your iPhone, go to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding and remove your iPad.

Aug 16, 2023 9:31 AM in response to sarah of B'ville

When you turn on Messages in iCloud, every message you send and receive on your iPad is saved in iCloud. And, when you sign in with the same Apple ID on a new device that also has Messages in iCloud turned on, all your conversations show up there automatically.

On your iPhone > Go to Settings  > [your name] > iCloud, then turn off Messages to stop displaying messages on other devices

How do I keep texts from appearing on both my iPhone and iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.