Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scam to call Apple Support?

When I searched the number from another device, it returned nothing related to Apple.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 11:16 AM

This just happened to me for the first time, a security alert and prompts to call "Apple Customer Support". I was sceptical but still called the number on the screen when I couldn't find a legitimate Apple support number. I didn't give any access to my computer or Apple ID or password.

Did I expose myself in any way simply by calling that number and ducking some obviously dangerous questions? If I am compromised, what can be done to clean things up?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 11:16 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

This just happened to me for the first time, a security alert and prompts to call "Apple Customer Support". I was sceptical but still called the number on the screen when I couldn't find a legitimate Apple support number. I didn't give any access to my computer or Apple ID or password.

Did I expose myself in any way simply by calling that number and ducking some obviously dangerous questions? If I am compromised, what can be done to clean things up?

Aug 16, 2023 9:59 AM in response to JaViCi

There are many SCAMs wanting you to call a fake number claiming to be Apple Support. The intention is to steal you Apple ID and Password, which will lock you out of your device. You did the right thing by not calling the number provided in a message, website or email and only contact Apple by one of their many ways to get Apple Support from their own website, not one provided to you in a link.

Apple would never have a screen pop up that says it is a security alert and you need to call any number for resolution.

Sep 7, 2023 12:42 PM in response to JaViCi

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

report all phoney apple calls and emails and sms to the information in the above article.

scammers will try anything.

apple will never ask for financial information or make you go to the bank to pull out money and get gift cards nor crypto.

by using the Support App only- you will know you’re getting connected to a true Apple Advisor.

Scam to call Apple Support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.