Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

make a macOS usb stick with windows

So I made a post earlier about a Mac I got, and I figured out I can make a usb stick with macOS on it, but this is the first Mac I ever had, and my earlier pc has windows 10. So is there any way I can make a bootable usb stick with windows?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2024 7:49 PM

Oh, for sure! Making a bootable USB stick for macOS when you're coming from a Windows world can feel a bit like learning a new language, but it's totally doable and pretty cool once you get the hang of it. Since you mentioned you're on Windows 10 and looking to dive into macOS with your new Mac (welcome to the club, by the way!), there's a handy tool called UltraDMG you can use.

For making a bootable USB for a Mac from a Windows machine, UltraDMG is a real lifesaver. I've used it before, and it's pretty straightforward. Basically, UltraDMG allows you to create a macOS bootable USB directly from your Windows 10 PC. It's super handy if you're looking to install or reinstall macOS on a Mac but only have access to a Windows PC at the moment.

Try it free: https://www.sysgeeker.com/online-help/ultradmg.html

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2024 7:49 PM in response to arch7916

Oh, for sure! Making a bootable USB stick for macOS when you're coming from a Windows world can feel a bit like learning a new language, but it's totally doable and pretty cool once you get the hang of it. Since you mentioned you're on Windows 10 and looking to dive into macOS with your new Mac (welcome to the club, by the way!), there's a handy tool called UltraDMG you can use.

For making a bootable USB for a Mac from a Windows machine, UltraDMG is a real lifesaver. I've used it before, and it's pretty straightforward. Basically, UltraDMG allows you to create a macOS bootable USB directly from your Windows 10 PC. It's super handy if you're looking to install or reinstall macOS on a Mac but only have access to a Windows PC at the moment.

Try it free: https://www.sysgeeker.com/online-help/ultradmg.html

Jan 28, 2024 8:08 PM in response to jocabtxz

The best way to make a bootable macOS USB is on a Mac with the help you createinstallmedia command. Apple has a step-by-step guide for that: Create a bootable installer - Apple Support

However, if you could not get a Mac to do this and only have a Windows PC, then it is also possible to make a macOS bootable USB installer. Instead, the process is a bit more complicated. First, you should download a copy of macOS DMG file and burn it to a USB drive in order to make the USB bootable for macOS installation. Here is an easy guide for doing this: Burn DMG to USB on Windows 10 PC | The Ultimate Guide | Medium

Lastly, make sure your Mac is fully compatible to the right version of macOS.

Apr 9, 2024 12:29 PM in response to nanaki-seto

nanaki-seto wrote:

Tried this and it does not work just tosses 1 error after another relating to command not found
I seriously do not understand why people always want to answer questions no one asked. What if a mac is left in an unbootable state you still going to tell them it is simple on the mac when they can't boot it ? Maybe they are fixing it for a friend and have 20 years experience on macs but do not have one any more and need to do so on windows i mean seriously

Did you read the linked Apple article provided by @ku4hx and others including myself? @ku4hx gave a sample command taken from the linked Apple article for creating a bootable macOS 13.x Ventura USB installer. The command differs slightly for different versions of macOS you are creating. Plus the instructions to get the full macOS installer differs depending on which installer you need.

Here are the links to the Apple articles needed for downloading & creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Create a bootable installer - Apple Support

No one can assist you with the errors encountered without knowing exactly what command you used and which macOS installer you are trying to create. It is best if we see a screenshot of the Terminal window showing the command used and the complete error message. The instructions in these two articles work if followed precisely (although the macOS 10.12 Sierra will fail due to a problem with its installer.....known bug Apple decided to ignore instead of fixing). Access to another compatible Mac is necessary to perform those instructions if your current Mac is unable to boot normally or into Safe Mode. Macs generally from Late-2009+ do have access to Internet Recovery Mode as well in order to access the online macOS installer if you don't have access to a compatible Mac to create a bootable macOS USB installer.

Mar 21, 2024 7:54 PM in response to arch7916

Oh, totally! Making a bootable USB stick with Windows to use on your Mac is pretty doable, and honestly, it’s a handy trick to have up your sleeve. Here’s a laid-back walkthrough to get you rolling:

1. Get the Windows ISO File: First thing’s first, you need the Windows ISO file. Think of it as a blueprint of Windows that your USB will mimic. You can download this directly from Microsoft’s website. They have the latest Windows versions ready for download. Just head over there, pick the version you want, and download the ISO file.
  2. Boot Camp Assistant (If you're on macOS): Now, since you’re diving into this from a Mac perspective, Apple has this neat tool called Boot Camp Assistant that's baked right into macOS. It's essentially your golden ticket for getting Windows up and running on your Mac. Open it up, and it'll guide you through the process of creating a bootable USB drive with the Windows ISO you downloaded. Plus, it helps partition your hard drive if you're looking to run Windows alongside macOS.
  3. Or, Use a Third-Party Tool (If Boot Camp doesn’t play nice): Sometimes, the stars don’t align, and Boot Camp might give you the cold shoulder, or you might want a bit more control over the process. In that case, there are third-party tools like UltraDMG (for Windows) or UNetbootin (works on both macOS and Windows) that can also create a bootable USB stick with your Windows ISO. The process is pretty straightforward: select your USB drive, choose the ISO file, and let the software work its magic.

Aug 16, 2023 1:35 PM in response to arch7916

"this is the first Mac I ever had"

It's incredibly simple to make the bootable flash drive on your Mac.

It's a single command in Terminal which you should copy and paste: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

For instance, for Ventura: sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Apr 23, 2024 2:26 AM in response to arch7916

It's easier to make a MacOS installer bootable USB on Windows than it is on a Mac. You don't need to use the Apple store or any terminal commands.

There are plenty of sites to download an ISO (disk image) of the MacOS installer

You just need to make sure you have the right version that your Mac can use. (Unlike Windows 10, you can't just install the latest version)

https://archive.org/details/macos_iso

https://isoriver.com/?s=mac+os

There are free programs for Windows that can write an ISO image file to USB such as Rufus https://rufus.ie/

Aug 16, 2023 12:59 PM in response to arch7916

If you have a Mac from 2010+ (perhaps even a Late-2009 model), then that Mac may have access to the online macOS installers through Internet Recovery Mode....using Command + Option + R is best since it should access the most recent installer compatible with your Mac, or if there is only a local recovery mode, then it should allow you to access the installer without authenticating with an AppleID which would fail since your AppleID never "purchased" any of the older macOS installers.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Otherwise, you would need access to another Mac which is able to utilize an OS your own Mac can use. For example if your Mac is compatible with macOS 10.13, then you would generally need access to another Mac from Late-2009 to 2018 in order to create a bootable macOS 10.13 USB installer since only those model Macs are compatible with macOS 10.13 (the Macs can currently be running any version of macOS 10.6+). You can use this article to determine which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware in order to determine the versions of macOS your Mac is compatible and to verify whether any other Macs you have access to are also compatible.

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

Here is an Apple article with instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer (requires access to another Mac able to boot macOS):

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

FYI, you should always provide the exact model of Mac so we can provide as many options as possible since some older Macs used macOS DVD installers, while newer Macs (2018+) have options for a firmware "Restore" although the latter still requires access to another newer Mac. You can get the exact model by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About this Mac", or if it has no bootable macOS, then enter the system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If you don't know of anyone with a compatible Mac, then maybe see if the Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will assist you....some may help.

Aug 20, 2023 6:00 PM in response to arch7916

Please provide the exact model of the Mac. Use the "Check Coverage" link in my earlier post to get the exact model of your Mac. We need to know the exact model in order to know which options are available to you for reinstalling macOS.

When the Mac is booting into the "utilities", is it asking for a WiFi connection & WiFi password? Does this Mac have a wired network connection when it enters the "utilities" screen? Again, this is important to know how you are actually accessing recovery mode.

Apr 9, 2024 10:14 AM in response to ku4hx

Tried this and it does not work just tosses 1 error after another relating to command not found

I seriously do not understand why people always want to answer questions no one asked. What if a mac is left in an unbootable state you still going to tell them it is simple on the mac when they can't boot it ? Maybe they are fixing it for a friend and have 20 years experience on macs but do not have one any more and need to do so on windows i mean seriously

May 2, 2024 8:33 PM in response to Timika199

On the first step- Can you please clarify what you mean by saying you need the "Windows ISO file", also how would I find this on the Windows website? I have an iPhone, a macbook pro (just purchased, but still had old owner's apple ID as the admin, so we were forced to factory reset, but now can't reinstall OS; hence trying to install from backup), and a pc. Currently, I'm trying to just boot from the USB, but don't have a bootable file on my USB, so I need to create one, and I'm hoping to be able to do so using my PC. Hoping there is a way without paying for the UltraDMG program...if that even works.

make a macOS usb stick with windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.