Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Related Article: About the security content of iOS 15.7.8 and iPadOS 15.7.8

I have the amount of storage I need but it won’t let me update

I can’t update my iOS because it keeps on saying I don’t have enough storage but I have 14.6 GB

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 5:40 PM

Then that amount of storage is not sufficient.

To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:

• You need at least 10 GB of free storage for iOS 16 or 6 GB for iOS 15 or lower; more is better
  • You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot)
  • The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update
  • The phone must not be in Low Power Mode
  • The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles
  • The phone cannot be in Airplane mode and must have a cellular data connection
  • You cannot still have a beta of a previous version installed on the phone
  • You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it

If you can't meet all of them you can still update using your computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2023 5:40 PM in response to HehdhdhBecky

Then that amount of storage is not sufficient.

To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:

• You need at least 10 GB of free storage for iOS 16 or 6 GB for iOS 15 or lower; more is better
  • You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot)
  • The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update
  • The phone must not be in Low Power Mode
  • The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles
  • The phone cannot be in Airplane mode and must have a cellular data connection
  • You cannot still have a beta of a previous version installed on the phone
  • You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it

If you can't meet all of them you can still update using your computer.

Aug 16, 2023 5:54 PM in response to HehdhdhBecky

HehdhdhBecky Said:

"I have the amount of storage I need but it won’t let me update: I can’t update my iOS because it keeps on saying I don’t have enough storage but I have 14.6 GB"

-------

Updating an iPhone 6s to iOS16:

You Can't. This is not an option. Your iPhone model(6s Plus) is incompatible with the latest version: iOS 16 - Apple. It can only go to iOS15.7.2.

For reference...

Updating your iPhone:

Try updating your iPhone first. Do so, through a computer. If you cannot update it, then it is likely out of date. As for getting the options back(if they existed), you'd have to perform a few things, perhaps leading to a reset. So, try the following, reporting if the update works...

Updating an iPhone:

Determining if an Update will Install:

How to do so...

A. Verify Compatibility:

Identify your iPhone model. The first thing that comes to mind in incompatibility being the culprit. So, confirm the model of your iPhone. If iPhone model is incompatible with iOS15 then it is because you iPhone does not meet the hardware requirements for this iOS version(s).

B. If Compatible...

1. Back Up First:

IMPORTANT: If you have an option to update, however, then be certain you backup your iPhone first. That way, you will have something to restore your iPhone from should anything go wrong with the update

then...

2. Proceed with the Update:

Use my User Tip:  Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

I have the amount of storage I need but it won’t let me update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.