Which latest imac to buy for Apple 9.2

I have my dental office Apple network running 9.2 I wish to add the latest Apple model Imac (PPC) that will work with my 9.2

It is my understanding that the latest software I can use is 10.11

Three of my computers are later model Imacs, running latest software, which obviously do not communicate with my 9.2 software. Please help.

Is it possible to do minor repairs myself on the early Imacs with limited experience?

Thank you for any advice.

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 5:23 PM

5 replies

Aug 17, 2023 12:43 PM in response to gtforty

Hi gtforty,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. If we're understanding correctly, you'd like to use a specific application that is compatible with your iMac computers. For this instance, we recommend to contact the admin in charge of the network or the app developer. They're best equipped to verify which iMac and software is most compatible with the application you're attempting to use in your dental office. If needed, here's how to contact an app developer: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Kind regards.

Aug 18, 2023 4:46 AM in response to gtforty

And don't confuse Mac OS X 10.9.2 for Mac OS 9.2. Numbers are everything in the Mac world.

Go to the Apple logo in the upper left corner of the Mac screen and pick About This Mac.

If it says Mavericks, you are running Mac OS X 10.9.2.

Some people have had trouble upgrading to El Capitan lately from Mavericks. There has been some issues with the servers saying additional items need to be found.

I have written a tip on the best web browser for each Mac OS version and security, which can help until such time you can find the upgrade you need:

Browsers by Mac operating system - Apple Community

Aug 17, 2023 4:05 PM in response to gtforty

Hi,

Is this Mac OS 9.2?

If so, the iMac list at https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html should be of help. Go to the complete specifications for each PowerPC model of interest. Check, for example, the information under Pre-Installed MacOS and MacOS 9 Support.

>It is my understanding that the latest software I can use is 10.11

Please clarify. Do you mean Macs using OS X 10.11 El Capitan? No PowerPC Mac can run anything higher than Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. If you need information about whether networking is possible between different Mac operating system versions, please specify.

Aug 22, 2023 12:08 AM in response to gtforty

If you're looking for an iMac that is compatible with macOS 9.2, you'll need to consider models that were released around the time macOS 9.2 was available. The last version of macOS that supports PowerPC-based Macs, including those compatible with macOS 9.2, is Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

One option could be an iMac G5 (PowerPC) model, which was released in the mid-2000s. Another option might be an early Intel-based iMac, as some of these models were released while PowerPC-based systems were still being supported through "Rosetta" emulation.

It's worth noting that finding a brand-new iMac with these specifications could be quite challenging, as Apple has moved on to Intel and later ARM-based processors for their newer machines. You might need to consider purchasing a used or refurbished iMac that meets your compatibility requirements.

Additionally, keep in mind that running such an old version of macOS might have security and compatibility limitations, so it's essential to consider the potential risks and limitations when using outdated software.

Aug 22, 2023 5:12 AM in response to SunflowerSummer

Exactly.

Mac OS 9.2 was available in 2002 along side Mac OS X 10.2.8.

2003 the last Macs capable of booting Mac OS 9.2 were released in the PowerMac G4 1.25 Ghz tower desktops that lacked Firewire 800. Already the Powerbook and iBook line of notebooks in 2003 could not boot Mac OS 9, and were limited to using Mac OS 9.2 in the driverless (no printer driver, no game drivers) Classic environment. In 2008 Classic was made no longer available, and those Macs that depened on Classic environment capability needed to retain Mac OS X 10.4.11 to keep Classic environment. Those from 2003 and earlier that could boot 9.2 could still dual boot back into 9.

The release of 10.6 in 2009 is not compatible with any of those PowerPC Macs, but applications written for both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X could still run on Intel Macs. In 2011, the release of Mac OS X 10.7 ended compatibility of PowerPC applications on Mac OS X.

Which latest imac to buy for Apple 9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.