Preview Won't open Files in Separate Windows

I have had this problem ever since upgrading to Ventura.

I was on Mojave and Preview worked like a dream but on the old MacBook Pro 15" when I "upgraded" to Ventura (now on 13.5) the problem started and it's also now on this brand new 16" M2. No matter how many times I set Preview to open in a separate window it won't.

It decides to add the png or pdf I'm opening to some other already open png file or pdf article, often times not the first front file but pdf's I have had open for a while that are behind the top pfd article or png. Now I have to then search for it which is tedious.

I heard Level 2 mention that this might be a feature to help grouping of files but I'd say -- particularly when I have to keep setting the toggle "open in each file in it's own window" multiple times a day and for someone who uses Preview daily and who found it simple to use in the past -- that Preview is a total pain to use now.

What can I do to force Preview to respect "open in each file in it's own window" because currently that setting is completely redundant and not working... like many s/ware features with Apple these days. 20+ yr Apple product user.

I see Notes and Preview aren't in this list. Why is that?

And also why isn't Ventura listed?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 3:40 AM

When I double click a file, it's always opened in a separate window. If I select a range of files, each opens in it's own window in a cascade effect.

Five files open from a selected range.

Have you restarted? If not, do so and retest. If no joy there, start in Safe mode and let it soak for a few minutes then restart normally and retest.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

"Why" type questions need to be asked of Apple's developers and the R&D department. We as users, cannot speak for Apple and why Apple choose to do anything in a certain way. But edits do take time and the necessary ones just may not have been made yet is my best guess.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 3:40 AM in response to Bardonicloud

When I double click a file, it's always opened in a separate window. If I select a range of files, each opens in it's own window in a cascade effect.

Five files open from a selected range.

Have you restarted? If not, do so and retest. If no joy there, start in Safe mode and let it soak for a few minutes then restart normally and retest.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

"Why" type questions need to be asked of Apple's developers and the R&D department. We as users, cannot speak for Apple and why Apple choose to do anything in a certain way. But edits do take time and the necessary ones just may not have been made yet is my best guess.

Preview Won't open Files in Separate Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.