Apple devices show two MAC addresses

When I have Private wifi address enabled in settings on any of my Apple devices then go into my router I see each device has their real MAC address as well as the private wifi MAC address both. Anyone know how to make it just show one and not both?

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 6:43 AM

Your iPad has multiple MAC Addresses that are used for WiFi… but will only use one at a time.

Your iPad’s globally unique “burned-in” (i.e., physical) MAC Address can be found here:

Settings > General > About > WiFi Address

However - unless you have intentionally changed your iPad settings from defaults, this unique MAC Address is not used when connecting to regular WiFi networks. When connecting to WiFi, your iPad’s default settings will use a security feature known as Private WiFi Address.

This privacy feature generates a random/temporary MAC Address that is unique only to the WiFi network to which you are connected. This feature intentionally hides your iPad’s real “unique” MAC Address from the WiFi network. This “private” address is automatically/regularly changed by your iPad - and also differs for each WiFi network to which you connect.

You can view the currently used “private” MAC Address, for each configured WIFi network, from WiFi settings:

Settings > WiFi

For the WiFi network of interest, tap the blue “i” icon.

• If Private WiFi Address is enabled (by default, this will be enabled), the current randomly chosen MAC Address used with this WiFi network is displayed in the associated WiFi Address field.

• If Private WiFi Address has been manually disabled, your iPad’s globally unique MAC Address will be used - and the real MAC Address is displayed in the associated WiFi Address field.

NB: The Private Address feature is largely unnecessary for your home WiFi network; if enabled, Private Addressing can cause issues if specific MAC addresses are expected by your WiFi Router. You may need to disable this feature - and can be enabled or disabled for each individual network.

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7 - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 6:43 AM in response to Fcl3232

Your iPad has multiple MAC Addresses that are used for WiFi… but will only use one at a time.

Your iPad’s globally unique “burned-in” (i.e., physical) MAC Address can be found here:

Settings > General > About > WiFi Address

However - unless you have intentionally changed your iPad settings from defaults, this unique MAC Address is not used when connecting to regular WiFi networks. When connecting to WiFi, your iPad’s default settings will use a security feature known as Private WiFi Address.

This privacy feature generates a random/temporary MAC Address that is unique only to the WiFi network to which you are connected. This feature intentionally hides your iPad’s real “unique” MAC Address from the WiFi network. This “private” address is automatically/regularly changed by your iPad - and also differs for each WiFi network to which you connect.

You can view the currently used “private” MAC Address, for each configured WIFi network, from WiFi settings:

Settings > WiFi

For the WiFi network of interest, tap the blue “i” icon.

• If Private WiFi Address is enabled (by default, this will be enabled), the current randomly chosen MAC Address used with this WiFi network is displayed in the associated WiFi Address field.

• If Private WiFi Address has been manually disabled, your iPad’s globally unique MAC Address will be used - and the real MAC Address is displayed in the associated WiFi Address field.

NB: The Private Address feature is largely unnecessary for your home WiFi network; if enabled, Private Addressing can cause issues if specific MAC addresses are expected by your WiFi Router. You may need to disable this feature - and can be enabled or disabled for each individual network.

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7 - Apple Support

Apple devices show two MAC addresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.