Touch Bar keeps going black

My 13" 2017 MacBook Pro's Touch Bar keeps randomly going black after periods of sleep. Restarting the computer fixes the problem, but it seems to be occurring with increasing frequency.

I can't tell if this is the result of a Software Update or not. I am currently running Ventura 13.5.

A potentially related problem, although I'm not sure if it's connected: my regular keyboard has also been quite laggy lately. I went into Accessibility Options and turned on Slow Keys. Not really sure what this is supposed to do, but seems to help a bit. But it feels like a workaround for a symptom of a bigger problem.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 11:56 AM

brianedge wrote:

My 13" 2017 MacBook Pro's Touch Bar keeps randomly going black after periods of sleep. Restarting the computer fixes the problem, but it seems to be occurring with increasing frequency.

I can't tell if this is the result of a Software Update or not. I am currently running Ventura 13.5.

A potentially related problem, although I'm not sure if it's connected: my regular keyboard has also been quite laggy lately. I went into Accessibility Options and turned on Slow Keys. Not really sure what this is supposed to do, but seems to help a bit. But it feels like a workaround for a symptom of a bigger problem.

On an Intel Mac— do both

Try resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 11:56 AM in response to brianedge

brianedge wrote:

On an Intel Mac— do both

Try resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Touch Bar keeps going black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.