How can I reset a password for a family member that passed away?

I have an IPad that was my moms who passed away 2 years ago, and it is locked to her Apple ID. We have deactivated her phone and other items, so no way to log into her Apple account. I had the iPad reset, but it is still locked to her Apple ID. Need help on how to reset a password or remove the account from the IPad.

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 11:40 AM

Questions:

What do you mean by "deactivated"? That means something special about an account. Click on this link to read about how to deactivate your Apple ID account --> How to deactivate your Apple ID account - Apple Support

- See the section about "Can I reactivate my account?"

- "After your account is deactivated, you can't sign out of iCloud or turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock on your devices. If you forget to sign out, you might not be able to use your device while your account is deactivated."

What do you mean when you say "reset"? Again that means something special and if was truly reset then the iPad should have no restrictions on being set up by a new user. Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not detail what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership). This will give you access to the device but won't restore access to the account used to lock it. There is nothing that can be done to expedite an Activation Lock request.

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 11:40 AM in response to JoBob19

Questions:

What do you mean by "deactivated"? That means something special about an account. Click on this link to read about how to deactivate your Apple ID account --> How to deactivate your Apple ID account - Apple Support

- See the section about "Can I reactivate my account?"

- "After your account is deactivated, you can't sign out of iCloud or turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock on your devices. If you forget to sign out, you might not be able to use your device while your account is deactivated."

What do you mean when you say "reset"? Again that means something special and if was truly reset then the iPad should have no restrictions on being set up by a new user. Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not detail what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership). This will give you access to the device but won't restore access to the account used to lock it. There is nothing that can be done to expedite an Activation Lock request.

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

How can I reset a password for a family member that passed away?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.