Can't paste cells from Numbers into Pages

I created a spreadsheet in Numbers and when I select and copy the cells of the sheet and try to paste them into Pages, it won't paste. The content is in the clipboard because I'm able to paste into other programs. I've just updated the OS and Numbers but that didn't fix it. I've also tried creating a table in Pages and pasting into the table but that doesn't work either. The great irony here is that if I export it to XLSX and copy from Excel, I can paste into Pages from Excel! I'm on a 2022 Macbook Pro.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 2:34 PM

If you select and copy a range of cells in Numbers v13.1 and then in a new Pages v13.1 document (either word processing, or page layout) you paste from the clipboard with just a simple ctrl-v, a new table object is now present in Pages with cell colors and formulas intact.

If you already had a blank Pages table inserted, you could single-click cell A1 or A2 and then paste from the clipboard. This behaves differently as Pages will then add rows and columns to accommodate the Numbers table dimensions. This can however be problematic as Pages will shrink columns in an attempt to fit the Numbers content and at some point, this becomes unusable between document margins.

If the fitment becomes an issue, alternatively you would need to launch Preview, choose New from Clipboard, and the selected Numbers cell range appears in Preview as a PDF. Select Preview's View menu : Thumbnails, and then drag and drop that PDF thumbnail onto Pages. Set Text Wrap to None in the Arrange panel, and then rotate that PDF object 90 ° so that it is vertical on the page.

Cell formats in Numbers are a superset of what is supported in Pages tables.

Everything I discussed here was tested with Pages v13.1 and Numbers v13.1 on Ventura 13.5 in the last ten minutes.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 2:34 PM in response to Sarah Allen

If you select and copy a range of cells in Numbers v13.1 and then in a new Pages v13.1 document (either word processing, or page layout) you paste from the clipboard with just a simple ctrl-v, a new table object is now present in Pages with cell colors and formulas intact.

If you already had a blank Pages table inserted, you could single-click cell A1 or A2 and then paste from the clipboard. This behaves differently as Pages will then add rows and columns to accommodate the Numbers table dimensions. This can however be problematic as Pages will shrink columns in an attempt to fit the Numbers content and at some point, this becomes unusable between document margins.

If the fitment becomes an issue, alternatively you would need to launch Preview, choose New from Clipboard, and the selected Numbers cell range appears in Preview as a PDF. Select Preview's View menu : Thumbnails, and then drag and drop that PDF thumbnail onto Pages. Set Text Wrap to None in the Arrange panel, and then rotate that PDF object 90 ° so that it is vertical on the page.

Cell formats in Numbers are a superset of what is supported in Pages tables.

Everything I discussed here was tested with Pages v13.1 and Numbers v13.1 on Ventura 13.5 in the last ten minutes.

Can't paste cells from Numbers into Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.