You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password entered to change Security & Privacy 'preferences' is refused.

I have not been able to unlock Microphone access in Security & Privacy preferences.

According to this webpage I should be able to access Security & Privacy options with the same password I use to log into my MacBook Pro. -> Change or reset the password of a macOS user account in macOS Mojave or earlier - Apple Support 

However, that password is not being accepted after I click the lock on the Security & Privacy screen.

How do I fix this without creating a new password?

Thanks.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 9:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 5:24 PM

Sometimes things just go wrong and a simple reboot will magically fix things. Be glad when a fix is so simple. If you encounter the same problem over & over, then it is time to worry about what it causing the problem and finding a permanent fix.

FYI, every device sooner or later needs to be rebooted...some more often than others. Even if I'm not experiencing any issues, if my device has not been rebooted in a long time, then I will do so just as a bit of preventative maintenance.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2023 5:24 PM in response to dymar

Sometimes things just go wrong and a simple reboot will magically fix things. Be glad when a fix is so simple. If you encounter the same problem over & over, then it is time to worry about what it causing the problem and finding a permanent fix.

FYI, every device sooner or later needs to be rebooted...some more often than others. Even if I'm not experiencing any issues, if my device has not been rebooted in a long time, then I will do so just as a bit of preventative maintenance.

Sep 10, 2023 3:03 PM in response to dymar

Have you used Disk Utility's Disk First Aid?

Other than that EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Password entered to change Security & Privacy 'preferences' is refused.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.