iMac screen goes black randomly when mouse moved right.

I have a 2019 iMac 27". Every now and again when I move the mouse the screen just goes black. Randomly but frequently, normally when I knock the mouse with my arm and it moves right, although attempts to simulate it have failed so the best i can say is "sometimes when I accidentally move the mouse the screen goes black", press "enter"on the keyboard and things come back. Interestingly, while the screen is blank, typing in the keyboard has no effect. It's exceedingly annoying when you're right in the middle of something important, like this post!!

Does anyone have any idea? I have tried googling this but I just find lots of threads about mac screens going black and waking up with a wiggle of the mouse.

This is almost identical to a post on Jul 11, 2015 12:20 PM

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 1:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 2:27 AM

"... lots of threads about mac screens going black and waking up with a wiggle of the mouse."

-----

I feel sure you have a problem that will likely be addressed, but the above action is exactly how I wake our Macs from sleep. Same for pressing the Return key. Any key actually. Been doing that for years.

Do you have the same problem with a wired keyboard? You can simulate a wired KB by attaching it directly to the Mac with the charging cable. Maybe try a real wired USB KB. Every user needs a wired USB KB and mouse for just such occasions.

Have you restarted? If you use a wired KB or mouse you may need to. Incidentally, restarting periodically is a good idea to clear caches and such. Maybe try a safe mode start: shut down and restart and immediately pressing the shift key and holding until the progress bar starts up. Safe mode will be indicated in the upper right of the screen in red lettering. Let it "soak" for maybe 3.- minutes and do a normal restart.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2023 2:27 AM in response to Green Tee

"... lots of threads about mac screens going black and waking up with a wiggle of the mouse."

-----

I feel sure you have a problem that will likely be addressed, but the above action is exactly how I wake our Macs from sleep. Same for pressing the Return key. Any key actually. Been doing that for years.

Do you have the same problem with a wired keyboard? You can simulate a wired KB by attaching it directly to the Mac with the charging cable. Maybe try a real wired USB KB. Every user needs a wired USB KB and mouse for just such occasions.

Have you restarted? If you use a wired KB or mouse you may need to. Incidentally, restarting periodically is a good idea to clear caches and such. Maybe try a safe mode start: shut down and restart and immediately pressing the shift key and holding until the progress bar starts up. Safe mode will be indicated in the upper right of the screen in red lettering. Let it "soak" for maybe 3.- minutes and do a normal restart.

Aug 18, 2023 7:21 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks ku4hx for that, I would not have thought of keyboard as a problem. However since swapping for the wired keyboard off my old 2009 iMac problem has not recurred yet. Given the intermittent nature of the fault I'll give it a bit more time but it's looking hopeful.

As an aside the old wired keyboard is much nicer than the modern wireless one.

den.thed

Thanks for your reply. My iMac is running MacOs Ventura 13.5.

There does not seem to be an option for System Preferences in this version.

Aug 18, 2023 7:23 AM in response to ku4hx

Thanks ku4hx for that, I would not have thought of keyboard as a problem. However since swapping for the wired keyboard off my old 2009 iMac problem has not recurred yet. Given the intermittent nature of the fault I'll give it a bit more time but it's looking hopeful.

As an aside the old wired keyboard is much nicer than the modern wireless one.

iMac screen goes black randomly when mouse moved right.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.