My Mac is requiring my password in every single day, even though touch ID is enabled

When I upgraded my OS, the touch ID feature has now reverted to requiring a password to unlock my Mac every single day, even though I haven't shut it down or restared it. When I open the laptop, the screen looks just it does when you fully restart the Mac, versus giving me the option to unlock with touch ID. How do I fix this in system settings to only require touch ID to bring it out of sleep mode?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 7:55 AM

I was able to correct this issue by adjusting a setting within Lock Screen. There is a setting that requires the password to be typed when waking up the desktop rather than allowing Touch ID. I turned that off and all has been good since. I was hoping to get answer here quickly but instead I found it by searching Google. Thanks to those who contributed.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2023 7:55 AM in response to BarnGigiMom

I was able to correct this issue by adjusting a setting within Lock Screen. There is a setting that requires the password to be typed when waking up the desktop rather than allowing Touch ID. I turned that off and all has been good since. I was hoping to get answer here quickly but instead I found it by searching Google. Thanks to those who contributed.

Nov 28, 2023 7:38 AM in response to BarnGigiMom

If you're using a wireless Apple keyboard there's a bug since (at least) Monterey (i.e. MacOS 12): when your keyboard runs out of power, the options in System Settings -> Touch ID & Password will disable and grey out, so that you can't re-enable them. Simply switch off and on the keyboard and everything will be working again.

I've had the support made me do the craziest things, but the problem is all there (solved thru Reddit).

Aug 18, 2023 11:17 PM in response to BarnGigiMom

BarnGigiMom Said:

"My Mac is requiring my password in every single day, even though touch ID is enabled: When I upgraded my OS, the touch ID feature has now reverted to requiring a password to unlock my Mac every single day, even though I haven't shut it down or restared it. When I open the laptop, the screen looks just it does when you fully restart the Mac, versus giving me the option to unlock with touch ID. How do I fix this in system settings to only require touch ID to bring it out of sleep mode?"

-------

Troubleshooting Touch ID:

Verify Compatibility:

1. Try this Link: If Touch ID isn't Working on your Mac - Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: "Check compatibility: To set up and use Touch ID on a Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, you need a Mac computer with Apple silicon and macOS Big Sur 11.4 or later.

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

Sep 16, 2023 1:43 PM in response to BarnGigiMom

Simply toggle on/off your Mac Keyboard.

That did the trick for me.

If Touch ID isn't working on your Mac - Apple Support

Try these steps

Try using Touch ID after each step:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of macOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Touch ID sensor are clean and dry.* Use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris on the Touch ID sensor.
  3. Your finger should cover the Touch ID sensor completely. While Touch ID is scanning, you shouldn't tap too quickly or move your finger around.
  4. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), click Users & Groups, then click the lock  to make changes. Click Login Options, then make sure that Automatic login is off.
  5. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), click Touch ID & Password, then turn on the setting to use Touch ID to unlock your Mac.
  6. Try to add a different fingerprint. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (Or System Preferences), click Touch ID & Password, then click Add Fingerprint.
  7. For Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, turn your keyboard off and on, then connect your keyboard to your Mac with the USB to Lightning cable. After you turn Magic Keyboard off then on, Touch ID may be unavailable for up to 10 seconds.
  8. Restart your Mac.

My Mac is requiring my password in every single day, even though touch ID is enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.