Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Syncing music between Mac and iPod (old iPhone)

I use an old iPhone 4 as an iPod. I have a good number of Playlists on it. When I got a new computer last Spring (Mac Studio), I transferred my music from my old computer to the new computer (used my backup disc to move the music to new computer). However, all the Playlists were nowhere to be seen. I have read the Help topics regarding syncing -- still have questions and am confused. If I connect my iPod to the Mac Studio and sync Music library, does it only sync one way? Will what's on the Mac take precedence and I'll lose all those Playlists or can the Playlists on the iPod transfer to the Mac? I still have the old computer and all those playlists are still listed there. Is there a way I can get them over to the new computer if they won't transfer from the iPod? I've been hesitant to do anything because I don't want to lose those Playlists!

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 6:59 PM

The first and safest thing I would try is to export the playlists from your old computer and then import those playlists to your new computer (using a thumb drive). See the 'Save copies of playlists to use on another computer' and 'Import a Music playlist' sections in:

Save a copy of a playlist in Music on Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2023 6:59 PM in response to sandalee

The first and safest thing I would try is to export the playlists from your old computer and then import those playlists to your new computer (using a thumb drive). See the 'Save copies of playlists to use on another computer' and 'Import a Music playlist' sections in:

Save a copy of a playlist in Music on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 19, 2023 7:39 PM in response to sandalee

Except for minor things like ratings, etc., syncing generally goes from the computer to the device but not in the other direction. In general if you try to connect and sync an Apple device to a new library, iTunes or Music (with the newer MacOS) will want to erase all the current media content on the device and replace it with items from the new library.

Syncing music between Mac and iPod (old iPhone)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.