Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

External display flickering with M1 iMac

Hi, I got a problem with display flickering on my external display connected with my iMac M1. I tried everything I found on internet (changing colour profile -> LCD colour on both, using other cables, cleaned the ports, restarted both devices...) Other devices connected on my external display (Xiaomi Mi 27" monitor) work perfectly. Is it just a software bug with M1 machines, because my Intel Macbook Air works good on the external display as well? Anyways, thanks for answers.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 7:56 AM

I also have a BenQ PD3220, and two BenQ 27" design monitors. It occurs more frequently on the 27" displays. For a premium like the Macbook Pro and premium monitors like the BenQ's, it's pretty annoying. I basically can't use YouTube at all.

Similar questions

12 replies

Aug 19, 2023 7:25 AM in response to Luka_Rizi

Great info and links, thanks.

Seems like that cable should be adequate.

What other device or devices are connected to the M1 iMac's USB-C port(s).

Does it make a difference, if only the display is connected to the iMac?

In addition to contacting Apple Support for assistance. I would test the Apple or Belkin USB-C to HDMI adapter and a short Premium Certified HDMI cable.

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter - Apple

https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

Aug 19, 2023 7:49 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks for the links. Yeah, I tought, that I will have to spend more than just 20$ for such cable. I found another one, where it specificaly says that is compatible for M1 models what do you think?

https://www.linqconnects.com/products/4k-hdmi-adapter-2m-cable

No, I have only usb c-hdmi cable currently connected on my Mac for the display. The other port is free.

Apr 22, 2024 8:02 AM in response to Luka_Rizi

Hey Everyone,

I found a different solution that worked for me so hopefully this helps someone else out! I was having this issue as well but it was intermittent and some of the solutions here seemed to resolve the problem. After upgrading to Sonoma 14.4.1, the issue came back with a vengeance.

I have an LG 45" UltraGear™ OLED Curved Monitor model 45GR95QE-B and am using a USB-C hub that has a display port connector since the HDMI connection wouldn't allow for 120hz or 144hz a while back when I tried.

After trying some of the solutions mentioned here, the issue still persisted, but it seems that I was able to change my display port input type on my monitor itself from 1.4 (DSC) to just 1.4. This resolved the issue for me so hopefully this will help someone else out as it's one of the MOST frustrating issues to deal with. Nothing like trying to look at your computer screen only to have the picture go out randomly.....

Seems like it might have had something to do with the latest fix Apple applied for external monitors not being detected as I wasn't experiencing after deleting duplicate color profiles before updating my OS.

Good luck everyone!

<3

External display flickering with M1 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.